Onkyo C-7030 192/24 Wolfson DAC
Nov 23, 2014 at 12:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

AUTigers2016

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I am putting together my first stereo system, and the bare bones of it all should be delivered some time next week. I was looking into some other sources to add on, and the Onkyo C-7030 seems like a solid addition with my budget. It will be going into my Yamaha R-S300 receiver, but I'm a little confused about something. How does this 192/24 Wolfson DAC work inside of the CD player? If CDs are 44.1/16 audio, what benefit is there to having a 192/24 DAC inside of a player? And if I plug this up to my receiver, is the receiver's processing going to screw with the signal and degrade the sound quality? The receiver has a "Pure Direct" mode, but I read somewhere else on Head-Fi that if you are using a subwoofer (which I am) then this is not ideal. Yeah I know this is "Head-Fi" and I'm asking about a stereo system, but I'd appreciate any help y'all can give me!

Thanks.

Nov 24, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #2 of 2
  Hey guys,

I am putting together my first stereo system, and the bare bones of it all should be delivered some time next week. I was looking into some other sources to add on, and the Onkyo C-7030 seems like a solid addition with my budget. It will be going into my Yamaha R-S300 receiver, but I'm a little confused about something. How does this 192/24 Wolfson DAC work inside of the CD player? If CDs are 44.1/16 audio, what benefit is there to having a 192/24 DAC inside of a player? And if I plug this up to my receiver, is the receiver's processing going to screw with the signal and degrade the sound quality? The receiver has a "Pure Direct" mode, but I read somewhere else on Head-Fi that if you are using a sub-woofer (which I am) then this is not ideal. Yeah I know this is "Head-Fi" and I'm asking about a stereo system, but I'd appreciate any help y'all can give me!

Thanks.

I would assume your Onkyo CD player will just pass the 16-bit/44.1K audio to the Yamaha, if you use a digital connection (bypassing the Onkyo's DAC).
Once you use the Onkyo's DAC to converts the digital audio signal to an Analog Audio signal, 16-bit, 24-bit, 44.1k, 192k are not longer relevant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back