Onkyo A800 and H900M full-size headphones - shipping March 2016
Jan 14, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #106 of 401
I'm very interested in either the A800 or the 900Ms, for my brother. I own the Master and Dynamic MH40s and he loves them and would like a similar sound signature with a bit more treble energy and extension. The price is also comparable. It seems these would be a good fit. Anyone compare the 2?

Both great headphones, sadly I can't compare to the MH40. What do you think sound characteristics would your brother most value? Is isolation important? The H900M is actually really very nice, just less spacious and it will have slightly less clear bass, but only slightly and due simply to the closed design. I believe these use the same driver so differences are simply based on enclosure designs. I like both very much, but for those that like a little more bass detail and airiness the A800 is the ticket, but conversely for those who need isolation and like a little more bass impact, the H900M is an excellent fit. Very impressed with both headphones and I will review the H900M soon.

Jan 14, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #107 of 401
Both great headphones, sadly I can't compare to the MH40. What do you think sound characteristics would your brother most value?

He wants full bass and a midrange that has good separation, (he doesn't like his NAD Viso Hp 50 because of the lack of separation and shout midrange). Treble energy and extension without being overly bright. He does want to use them in public and for gaming as well so I figured the closed back version would be best.

Jan 15, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #109 of 401
He wants full bass and a midrange that has good separation, (he doesn't like his NAD Viso Hp 50 because of the lack of separation and shout midrange). Treble energy and extension without being overly bright. He does want to use them in public and for gaming as well so I figured the closed back version would be best.

Based on that description without a doubt the H900M. The mid-range is like most closed backed designs, and a little folded into the upper bass, but not bad. I owned the HP50, but so long ago now I couldn't comment on how they compare, but for sure the H900M is a little more engaging. I sold the HP50 as they were a little dull sounding, nice, but too reserved. The H900M is certainly worth trying based on what you are describing, you never know for sure, but it is at least a good gamble.

Jan 15, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #110 of 401
  @Sonic Defender are you able to comment on the A800 vs the HD600 at all?

A little, I sold my HD600 about two months ago now. The A800 has more treble, but I don't feel in any way that is problematic as the treble isn't harsh at all, well extended yes. The 600 will be a smoother, more even sounding headphone with perhaps a little more mid-range focus. The A800 is more engaging, and faster sounding with in my mind better, more impactful bass. I'm trying to remember the soundstage of the 600, but really I would have to say both are pretty close in that area so I couldn't give either the nod.

The HD600 is of course an excellent headphone, no argument there, but I think if I could only have one it would be the A800 as I prefer to have the energy it brings and if anybody felt the treble was more than they wanted a gentle EQ cut is all that would be required. ONKYO I think really put out two well done signatures and I personally really like the looks, in particular the H900M I find very striking. Comfort wise neither are plush and soft feeling, but they aren't uncomfortable either. I don't tend to do long listening sessions at a time, but I am pretty sensitive to clamp pressure so I'm not sure what your sensitivity is. If you do end up trying the A800 I would love to get your impressions.

Jan 15, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #111 of 401
Based on that description without a doubt the H900M. The mid-range is like most closed backed designs, and a little folded into the upper bass, but not bad. I owned the HP50, but so long ago now I couldn't comment on how they compare, but for sure the H900M is a little more engaging. I sold the HP50 as they were a little dull sounding, nice, but too reserved. The H900M is certainly worth trying based on what you are describing, you never know for sure, but it is at least a good gamble.

Thanks for this. I wish there was a place I could try the headphones before I purchase them.

Jan 15, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #112 of 401
Thanks for this. I wish there was a place I could try the headphones before I purchase them.

Where are you located? Do online vendors you have access to allow returns? I am surprised that ONKYO has less distribution partners than it seems. I could have sworn that one poster said he was able to visit a Best Buy and actually demo the A800 there?

Jan 15, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #113 of 401
  A little, I sold my HD600 about two months ago now. The A800 has more treble, but I don't feel in any way that is problematic as the treble isn't harsh at all, well extended yes. The 600 will be a smoother, more even sounding headphone with perhaps a little more mid-range focus. The A800 is more engaging, and faster sounding with in my mind better, more impactful bass. I'm trying to remember the soundstage of the 600, but really I would have to say both are pretty close in that area so I couldn't give either the nod.

The HD600 is of course an excellent headphone, no argument there, but I think if I could only have one it would be the A800 as I prefer to have the energy it brings and if anybody felt the treble was more than they wanted a gentle EQ cut is all that would be required. ONKYO I think really put out two well done signatures and I personally really like the looks, in particular the H900M I find very striking. Comfort wise neither are plush and soft feeling, but they aren't uncomfortable either. I don't tend to do long listening sessions at a time, but I am pretty sensitive to clamp pressure so I'm not sure what your sensitivity is. If you do end up trying the A800 I would love to get your impressions.

Excellent, thanks for the insight man. I think I'm going to give these a go once they land in the UK (I cannot find them anywhere!!).

Jan 15, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #114 of 401

Excellent, thanks for the insight man. I think I'm going to give these a go once they land in the UK (I cannot find them anywhere!!).

Try Accessory Jack http://www.accessoryjack.com/onkyo-a800-premium-open-architecture-indoor-headphones-black.html​. Didn't read their return policy, but I do know many members have had positive experiences with them.

Jan 16, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #115 of 401
Where are you located? Do online vendors you have access to allow returns? I am surprised that ONKYO has less distribution partners than it seems. I could have sworn that one poster said he was able to visit a Best Buy and actually demo the A800 there?

I'm in PA. I wish they exhibited at shows cause if they did I would go to NY audio show in a second, just to demo these.

Jan 16, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #116 of 401
I'm in PA. I wish they exhibited at shows cause if they did I would go to NY audio show in a second, just to demo these.

I wonder if they are going to the Canjam in NY this year? You could maybe ask the organizers who is exhibiting. I would actually be surprised if ONKYO wasn't there as they also have the new version of their DAP.

Jan 16, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #118 of 401
Thanks for your kind explanation to this headphone. Maybe the first release of onkyo A800 was in South Korea(idk but guess market testing?), and I already ordered it from Korea. Even in japan, it will be released on the last part of January this year. And I think after the official release in Japan, a proper assessment of this headphone will be started.

By the way, could you listen some classical music (including some piano plays)using A800? My preference is Piano concerto or other works for a piano solo. The DAP is nw-zx100 and xperia z5c

Jan 16, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #119 of 401
Thanks for your kind explanation to this headphone. Maybe the first release of onkyo A800 was in South Korea(idk but guess market testing?), and I already ordered it from Korea. Even in japan, it will be released on the last part of January this year. And I think after the official release in Japan, a proper assessment of this headphone will be started.

By the way, could you listen some classical music (including some piano plays)using A800? My preference is Piano concerto or other works for a piano solo.

I will grab a classical album from the B&W Society of Sound site before my membership expires and report back soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back