Ong-Bak: An Amazing Martial Arts Movie
Aug 16, 2004 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

LobsterSan

MOT: kuboTEN
I have a newfound respect for Muay Thai after watching this movie. Good lord, those flying knee and elbow attacks look like they have serious bone-crushing abilities. The fights scenes are incredible, and the skill of the lead character (Phanom Yeerum, AKA Tony Jaa) has to be seen to be believed. The speed and agility with which he performs his moves are astounding, as is his jumping ability. They've also got crazy stuntmen in this movie, who seem to know no bounds of pain or human sacrifice. The opening scene involving a mad dash to the top of a tree will attest to that.

I was highly skeptical of this movie when my friend first told me about it. However, the action involved was fantastic, and I highly recommend this to any martial art movie lovers out there. I believe it will be coming to the US in November, courtesy of Luc Besson (with perhaps some cuts being made). But after checking out this trailer you may be temped to find a way to get it earlier: Japanese Trailer

I should also note that I watched the movie in Thai and without subtitles. I do not understand Thai. However, the movie's plot is simple enough to understand without translation. Additionally, I'm not sure if translation would actually help or hinder the movie, as it's really more about the action than it is the story.

[size=xx-small]"Tiger uppercut!" -Sagat[/size]

Aug 16, 2004 at 7:46 PM Post #2 of 14
this is a really jazzed up version of muay thai. i've seen it in thailand - it tends to be much slower with a lot more posturing and dancing around in the ring. movie looks like it'll be fun anyway, though.

Aug 16, 2004 at 8:29 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by earful
this is a really jazzed up version of muay thai. i've seen it in thailand - it tends to be much slower with a lot more posturing and dancing around in the ring. movie looks like it'll be fun anyway, though.

Well, it is, you know... a MOVIE.
tongue.gif

- Chris

Aug 16, 2004 at 11:52 PM Post #6 of 14
Ah, I also watched this unsubtitled with my Kendo team at Chicago. Very good flick, although we had the benefit of a Thai speaker to translate for us.

Aug 17, 2004 at 12:53 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by MuZI
Wow, i wonder if bruce lee could whip these guys...

Though I respect Bruce Lee tremendously, I think he would get seriously owned by both Jet Li and Tony Ja.

Aug 17, 2004 at 1:58 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by LobsterSan
Though I respect Bruce Lee tremendously, I think he would get seriously owned by both Jet Li and Tony Ja.

Seriously? Is Jet Li that good?

Aug 17, 2004 at 3:12 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth

Wondering the same thing.

Aug 17, 2004 at 4:13 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth

Oh, he *is*. You should watch some of his earlier movies like "The Shaolin Temple" (his first, I think) and the Once Upon A Time In China movies (the first one is the best one). HE KICKS ASS.

Aug 17, 2004 at 4:23 AM Post #11 of 14
Well, Jet Li was the national kung fu champion of China before he ever became a movie star, so he's good in a very serious way.
tongue.gif

Aug 17, 2004 at 10:26 AM Post #14 of 14
i'll take the odds on bruce lee and sonny chiba over jet li and whoever else any day.
biggrin.gif

i can't stand jet li. his voice annoys the hell out of me, though it is a bit better when it's not attempting to speak english. miramax is finally releasing hero in north america, but i wouldn't waste my time sitting through it again. the plot was just so amazingly boring and poorly setup, coupled with a few beautifully scripted fight scenes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back