OnePlus Icons vs Sennheiser IE80
Nov 26, 2015 at 9:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

New Head-Fier
I was browsing through some Black Friday deals and learned that Oneplus was preparing to sell an IEM. As a Oneplus owner, I was interested. Then I stumbled upon the video 'OnePlus Icons - Blind Test' where the new IEMs are compared to two other IEMs, the second of which is unmistakably the Sennheiser IE80. I just wanted to check that I wasn't going mad. As an IE80 owner, I find it hard to believe that the Oneplus Icons pose an actual threat to them. I also own the Soundmagic E10 which, while good value for money at £16 cannot replace the build and sound quality of the IE80. What is the consessus on this forum of Oneplus' claims?

Nov 29, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #2 of 10
Perhaps what you saw was a chinese fake of an ie80?
biggrin.gif

Dec 23, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #3 of 10
cool.gif
I'm certainly hoping they are at least as good as the IE80's. I had a Pair of IE8's, which myself and many others consider superior to the IE80's in sound. The Design is OLD. I have earphones now like the Puro IEM500 that can eat the IE8's for breakfast performance-wise.

I'm going to be disappointed if they suck.

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

Dec 23, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #4 of 10
I browsed the web yesterday, because a friend asked me about them.
Looks like they suck, indeed. Below is the only review I found that reads like the authors knows a bit what he's writing about.

verdict: looks cool, sounds average, comfort sucks.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/tv/reviews/oneplus-icons-review-778611

Dec 23, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #5 of 10
  I browsed the web yesterday, because a friend asked me about them.
Looks like they suck, indeed. Below is the only review I found that reads like the authors knows a bit what he's writing about.

verdict: looks cool, sounds average, comfort sucks.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/tv/reviews/oneplus-icons-review-778611

cool.gif
Our own bhazzard says differently in a short post on Reddit, I believe.

I will stick by scrambler's assessments. I BETTING any impressions you find posted this quickly after release online are OOTB without sufficient BURN IN, or the benefit of superior music files / sources or PROPER eartips.

People can ignore basic Scientific, Mechanical, and Electrical principles and claim Burn In doesn't make a difference,

I KNOW it does. In fact, it can make a Radical difference.

I will let you know once I receive them and put 200 hours on them. I will give a fair and unbiased opinion at that time, other than a quick OOTB impression beforehand.

If they suck I will be the first one to tell you outright.

JMHO

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Dec 24, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #6 of 10
  I was browsing through some Black Friday deals and learned that Oneplus was preparing to sell an IEM. As a Oneplus owner, I was interested. Then I stumbled upon the video 'OnePlus Icons - Blind Test' where the new IEMs are compared to two other IEMs, the second of which is unmistakably the Sennheiser IE80. I just wanted to check that I wasn't going mad. As an IE80 owner, I find it hard to believe that the Oneplus Icons pose an actual threat to them. I also own the Soundmagic E10 which, while good value for money at £16 cannot replace the build and sound quality of the IE80. What is the consessus on this forum of Oneplus' claims?

Kind of hard to do a "blind" test when you have nerve endings that can feel the shape of the IEM shell in your ears.

Dec 28, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #7 of 10
I read a review on Android Central (Or Android Authority) saying they sound good but nothing special overall. Which is a shame because I was hoping OnePlus would score on this one. But with that relatively high price tag, I won't risk buying one just for try outs. Especially not with the wide variety of chinese made IEM's out there that costs so much lesser.

Dec 28, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #8 of 10
  I read a review on Android Central (Or Android Authority) saying they sound good but nothing special overall. Which is a shame because I was hoping OnePlus would score on this one. But with that relatively high price tag, I won't risk buying one just for try outs. Especially not with the wide variety of chinese made IEM's out there that costs so much lesser.

cool.gif
Like I pointed out, I've heard reports from one of our own that are NOT in agreement with those "Android" reviewers. I'm hoping he will post a review soonest. You just can't plug ANY earphone into a mere Phone and expect them to sound spectacular.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Jan 19, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #9 of 10
Now as an owner I can confirm that the ICON isn't merely good.

It is OUTSTANDING.

:grinning::grinning: TWIN

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #10 of 10
cool.gif
In Fact It isn't just OUTSTANDING. It's considerably better than the Senn. IE8. Now that I've spent some time with the ICON.

JMHO

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Users who are viewing this thread

Back