Oneplus 6 sounds weak, what can I do?
Aug 14, 2018 at 7:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Philipp F

New Head-Fier
Hey,
I hope this topic fits here.

While traveling quite a few hours every day, I like to listen to music through my Soundmagic E10 or various ZKs (all pretty low impedance) plugged into my iPhone 6 and I was pretty satisfied with what I got in terms of portable listening experience. Recently I have switched to an Oneplus 6 and was immediately disappointed with the sound I got, It didn't even occurred to me that I would be getting a downgrade in terms of sound, it sounds so weak.
I tried Viper4Android which lets me adjust the output gain, this helped a bit with some more volume but its still sounds very weak.

I was looking into external DACs, but the DAC in the Snapdragon 845 is supposed to be a WCD9341, which should be pretty okay.

I don't want to spend lots of money on portable gear, I just want my listening experience to be where it was before.
So Im thinking maybe a DIY solution?

I thought about building a quick CMoy or something small just to see if it helps...
But would a portable headphone amp even make sense? After all my IEM are all pretty low impedance...

Looking forward to hearing what you think.

Aug 14, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #2 of 9
Buy shanling m0. Connect LDAC. That's all

Aug 14, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #3 of 9
That seems like a good solution if nothing else works. Can anyone tell me if a headphone amplifier for the output of my phone would make any sense in fixing my problems even with low impedance IEMs?

Aug 14, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #4 of 9
A headphone amplifier will still probably help with your sound problems, I have been amazed recently with a desktop amp and low impedance iems...so I don’t see why a portable amp wouldn’t be better than the phone
But for the price of a M0 or earstudio es100 you will have more convenience

Aug 15, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #6 of 9
I have heard good thing about the Cmoy but for 50$ more having Bluetooth may be nice for you
Yeah that's definitely true. I am probably going to get the M0, it's just so damn convenient and versatile.
But I will probably also slap together a CMoy or something similar just because I'm curious if it would help, also I like building stuff.

Thanks for the help!

Aug 15, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #7 of 9
It would be a cool project to build. If you do get both post if you think the Cmoy helps. I’m pretty curious if it helps a purpose built music player like the M0 is improved by a DIY amp

Aug 15, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #8 of 9
I can't imaging it would do any improvement on the M0 output, but I might as well try it just for fun.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back