onenote 2007 vs notebook layout in word 2004 for mac
Apr 11, 2007 at 12:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

binkgle

500+ Head-Fier
I'm very seriously considering switching to mac when I get a laptop for college this summer, but I want to make sure that I'll have an easy time with taking notes in class. How does the onenote 2007 program on windows compare to the notebook layout in word 2004 (i'd probably get office 2008 if i got a mac and when it came out) for note-taking? which is easier to use, which is more efficient?

thanks,
binkgle

Apr 11, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #2 of 6
What kind of classes are you taking? Using a laptop to write your notes works okay for arts classes where all you need to take down is text, but if you're in any sort of science or engineering program, a laptop is going to be way more hassle than help. You'll want to use a notebook of the dead tree variety for those.

Apr 11, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #3 of 6
i'll be taking quite a few literature, history, cultural, etc. classes, but there are also required science courses (i have no idea what i want to major in, as i'm interested in a large number of diverse subjects). Anyway, for the non-math/science courses (and i agree that paper notebooks are best for those), which of these programs would you suggest?

Apr 11, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #4 of 6
I wouldn't limit my choices to those two notetaking applications. Here's my advice:

First, the advice about paper-based notes for courses with lots of equations is solid. Don't fall for the gee-whiz factor of TabletPCs... they're not practical for notetaking at the speed you need to keep up in science courses (or other courses). If you really want digital versions of your handwritten notes in science classes, get one of the smart pens (Logitech, Anoto, etc.) where you write on real paper and then upload what you wrote to your computer later. In general, if you're even a half decent typist, it's far more practical to type than to use a TabletPC. There are a couple people in my law school with convertible TabletPCs, and all of them type for notetaking. It's the only way you can keep up. I don't recommend those machines at all.

The main difference between OneNote and other apps, including Word for Mac's notebook mode, is that it's unstructured. The entire metaphor is based on putting boxes in arbitrary places on a page, then filling them with content. This has its advantages and disadvantages. The main advantage is freeform content; you can arrange things however you like on the page. However, this comes at a cost. It is not as convenient to go back later in OneNote and do significant editing of your notes, because it's based on a boxes model, not a flowing text model. If you intend to do a lot of editing later, or if you do not have a need for graphically arranging your text and media on the page, OneNote is not the best choice. Also, because the OneNote model is not based on flowing text, data exchange with Word is not perfect (apparently this is much improved in ON 2007 however).

Obviously, if you intend to transfer data to Word for "prettying up", Word for Mac's notebook mode is the cleanest, because you never leave Word. It is good for structured and general-purpose text notetaking.

However, if you're on the Mac, there are also other good options you should consider. Circus Ponies Notebook and Aquaminds Notetaker are like a more structured version of OneNote. You can't put boxes anywhere, but that's by design. It makes shifting your notes around later much easier and the outlining functions are much more convenient and robust. Also, these two programs are very mature, dating back to the NeXT era.

Finally, if you want a pure, fully-featured outliner for notetaking, look at OmniOutliner. This is currently the most powerful outliner for any platform currently being sold (the closest thing for Windows is the rather poor and expensive NoteMap). It has some media functions, but the emphasis is outlining, moving words around, structuring your notes. This is what I personally use. However, I like to take notes in point form, so this fits my style. If you prefer to take notes in a more lengthy, paragraph-based form, I would recommend Word's notebook mode, but I would suggest looking at Notebook and Notetaker too. I do not recommend OneNote for class notes, but it makes sense for research notes if you're in grad school or if you have to make a lot of diagrams.

Apr 11, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #5 of 6
word 2004 on a intel mac is a pain to use. I found it horribly sluggish due to rosetta. If you are going to run it on a mac I would wait until office 2008.

Apr 11, 2007 at 9:23 AM Post #6 of 6
I dont use office 2004 on my macbook for the same reason... Rosetta, even with 2g of ram is still a PITA.
Anyway, there are a lot of software that will do a better job than word if you want to take your note this way.

I would recommend Mori:
http://www.hogbaysoftware.com/product/mori
which helps me to sort all my courses properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back