One week too long to burn in?
Mar 24, 2007 at 12:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

kanamin

100+ Head-Fier
I'm leaving my dorm for home in a few hours, and I'll be gone for a week (spring break! yay!). Question is, should I leave music playing through my relatively new (~30 hours) K81DJs the whole time? Or should I just jump straight into pink noise? I heard a good burn-in is around 100 to 200 hours, so 168 should be plenty, in addition to the existing 30, right?

EDIT: Woops, forgot to change the title after realizing a week is 168 hours, disregard

Mar 24, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kanamin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm leaving my dorm for home in a few hours, and I'll be gone for a week (spring break! yay!). Question is, should I leave music playing through my relatively new (~30 hours) K81DJs the whole time? Or should I just jump straight into pink noise? I heard a good burn-in is around 100 to 200 hours, so 168 should be plenty, in addition to the existing 30, right?

EDIT: Woops, forgot to change the title after realizing a week is 168 hours, disregard

Pink noise for a week won't hurt. I broke in a tube amp and k701s for 400 hrs (listening along the way) straight. Don't turn it max. though. Just above normal listening volume. Your stretching the materials in the driver. Tell us how they sound when you get back.

Mar 24, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Music..... but I don't like the idea of leaving on electronic equipments unattended.

Neither do I, but my computer hasn't been off for about a month now
biggrin.gif
OK I did restart a few times, but no off time, just to clear memory for playing BF2142.
Your post is really starting to mess with my head, I'm imagining my room in flames right now
blink.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kanamin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
should I leave music playing through my relatively new (~30 hours) K81DJs the whole time?

Your favorite music would be appropriate...

Mar 24, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #7 of 12
I've always wondered about how loud 'slightly more than your normal volume' is. On my Rockboxed iPod, I usually play my music at -30 dB - so what should the burn-in volume be?

Mar 24, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #8 of 12
Hrmmm... OK I'll do half and half
biggrin.gif

Fill up ~80 hours of a playlist of my favorite music, and copy the ten second pink noise ogg from wikipedia enough times to equal 80 hours XDDDDD.

Because of the post left by jeanius, I've decided not to take any chances (or at least minimize this chance, since I'm still planning to do it). I've unplugged everything in my room sans the surge protector, and unplugged everything on the surge protector sans my speakers, computer, and monitor, and when I leave I'm going to unplug the monitor and speakers. I'm going to shutdown, blow as much dust out as I can, unplug EVERY component not needed to play this music/cool the pc (ok just the cd drives lol), and turn my cooling fans up higher.

As for the pink noise...
Wow, I thought this would take a lot longer, thank you exponential growth
biggrin.gif

copy.jpg

Using ctrl+c, ctrl-v, drag, repeat, I have half an hour of pink noise from a ten second clip

Mar 24, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #9 of 12
I say either one would be just fine.
Make a playlist with some of your favorite music, turn on repeat and let it sing for the next week...
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #10 of 12
I just got through burning in some phones. There was a bit of persistent distortion at around 2k, so I used a combo of white and pink noise played through iTunes. Eight hours took care of the distortion artifact, and gave the sound a bit more coherence. Sixteen hours really did the trick for the Senn HD201s; they now actually sound quite solid for such an inexpensive phone.

The pink/white noise treatment provides break-in along the entire sonic range. While music will work just fine (eventually), there are a lot of "spaces" in music, and break-in is going to take longer. From the headphones' standpoint, they're just playing noise either way, so why not make it fast and efficient?

Apr 1, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #11 of 12
Well, I'm back. I can't really describe everything accurately as an audiophile would (I see this everywhere on the forum XD), but the mids and highs sound better, more natural. Before, I noticed voices would sound weird, especially with s's and th's, that weird sound is pretty much gone now. The bass sounds cleaner, but not too different. I'm listening to Eurobeat right now, much nicer than before.

Then again this opinion may have been altered from what it should be because I went and bought (and got used to) some Marshmallows over break (on my b-day
biggrin.gif
).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back