One thing that annoys me about Head-Fi
Aug 11, 2003 at 12:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

elnero

Headphoneus Supremus
Something has been bugging me for a long time now, the refresh rate or whatever you want to call it on unread messages/threads. I'll come on first thing in the morning and most times I won't even finish reading through the Headphones forum before the unread threads are refreshed and I don't know what's new and what's not in any of the other forums. Other forums I go to remember the unread messages until I close my browser and restart it. Is there any way this could be implemented?

Aug 12, 2003 at 11:58 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by jms007bnd007
Mine doesn't refresh. What browser are you using? I'm using IE 6.0.

IE 6 here. I think it's in the settings and when you upgrade your current settings stay the same.

Aug 12, 2003 at 12:14 PM Post #6 of 11
fractus2, your problem is different from what I'm talking about. I mean when you first login each forum has unread messages. There is an icon beside each thread that has unread messages since the last time you visited Head-Fi. When I first come here in the morning it seems I only get about 15 - 20 min. before the site refreshes and I don't know what I've read and haven't read.

Is it my imagination or did someone actually change something because it seems to be better today...

Aug 12, 2003 at 12:22 PM Post #7 of 11
Sounds like a cookie issue...

Maybe that has been updated, I agree that it does appear that new threads / posts are remaining lit until you've read them now
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 12, 2003 at 12:30 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
Sounds like a cookie issue...

Maybe that has been updated, I agree that it does appear that new threads / posts are remaining lit until you've read them now
smily_headphones1.gif

Wow, I'm not sure what you guys are talking about. How do you see unread messages? I'm using IE6 and winme and this link http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/ and cannot see any indication if a message has been read or not.

confused.gif

edit: unless it's that orange in the envelope icon on the left hand side? Ok, I get it now.

biggrin.gif

Aug 12, 2003 at 1:52 PM Post #9 of 11
There should be a bluish grey icon with a yellow arrow pointing down beside the name of threads with unread messages.

Aug 12, 2003 at 5:09 PM Post #10 of 11
FWIW I have the same problem also.

For example, I log on in the morning and click "View New Posts" and a list of new posts appears whose length depends on when I last logged on.

Now, if I walk away from the computer for say, maybe 10 minutes and come back, I can scroll through the first page OK - everything is fine, the little yellow arrows are all there etc etc. The problem arises when I click onto the second page of unread posts. I am then greated with a list of purple folders, indicating the posts are not new anymore. The only way to jump to somewhere near the "first unread post", if to click on the yellow arrow next to the name of the most recent poster and work my way back.

The exact same thing will happen if I log on and have a huge number of unread posts, and take my time working through them. Sometimes, I will only get through say, 3 out of 12 pages before a similar thing happens and the forum decides that the remaining 9 pages have actually been read by me! I still have the list of 'unread posts' so to speak - so all is not lost. It is just a nuisance to try and get to that elusive 'first unread post'
wink.gif
, particularly in some of the longer threads.

Is this what you are describing elnero??
wink.gif

Aug 13, 2003 at 3:10 AM Post #11 of 11
Yeah! I want to know what the solution to this is. That's why I try to get them all in one sitting, and I hate to log in unless I'm ready to go through them all. It seems if I stop to do anything -- IRL -- I "lose my place".

More importantly, the symptoms manifest themselves thusly:

Each thread that I open, there's a "Go To First Unread Post" link that will actually pick up where I left off. If I am idle for a too inordinately long time, I will lose that, or it will point to the end of the message, rather than when I last looked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back