One speaker barely audible: Help?
Jan 27, 2010 at 11:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Mirth

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, not sure if this is the right spot to post this, but here it goes.

I have some Koss KSC75 earphones, and the left speaker is playing the music but at about 3/4ths of the volume as it should be, and it seems to only be playing the highs, (No bass whatsoever). The right speaker is working just fine.

I checked the wires that are soldered and they were fine. I re-soldered them just to make sure, and I'm still getting the same low volume.

Can't return 'em to Koss because I Kramer modded them. (But I'm 99.9% sure that the actual speaker itself wasn't touched, nor were any of the wiring up until today).

For the record, I've had em for about 5 months now and they've been fine. All of a sudden, this happens out of nowhere.

Jan 28, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #2 of 7
So this thread seemed to get lost in the shuffle within a few minutes yesterday. I'll try one more time.

Bump.

Jan 28, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by derek8555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried reversing the channels? (through software on a pc for example)

I just tried that now using VLC; still barely get any sound in the left speaker.

Not very knowledgeable in audio, but wouldn't a blown channel be part of the source rather than the headphones? To clear things up, it does it on my Zune and computer, while other headphones I have are fine on both devices.

Jan 29, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #5 of 7
Yeah so that wasn't a source issue then...

It's probably the driver then. I'm on my 2nd pair of KSC75s now and personally haven't experienced this before.

I wonder though, if the cable has solid core or stranded. If it's indeed stranded and a couple of the thin wires got broken inside, then that would likely increase the impedance resulting in less power going into the driver.

Jan 29, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #6 of 7
I looked at the wiring again, I actually can't really tell if it's stranded or not, the wiring is so thin. If it's stranded, then it's wrapped so tightly that it looks solid. With that said, it looks like it's in good shape, no separated strands that I can see.

Jan 30, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #7 of 7
One last bump for suggestions.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back