One simple cable test
Aug 11, 2005 at 12:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

maarek99

1000+ Head-Fier
I did a simple cable test with my modded emu 0404. Plugged in Headphiles standard copper cable and did an audio test with rightmark. And then I plugged in Qed Qunex 2 cables and did the same test.

There was a difference with the Qunex 2 scoring better (as I expected, it did sound way more lush and full bodied).

http://www.hmcindie.org/movies/rmaa/Wave%20mapper.htm <- Standard copper

http://www.hmcindie.org/movies/rmaa/...mapper%202.htm <- Qunex 2.

Qunex 2 was about 0.5m and standard copper was 0.25m so in length it had a disadvantage.

I'm anxious to get the Headphile Blacksilver emu breakout and test it again. But I'm a bit confused as to people say that there is no measurable difference. But there is! Look at noise level, dynamic range, imd and stereo crosstalk. There is a difference. Granted the difference that is measured is smallish but I heard a definite difference between them with the Qunex being the better one.

Aug 11, 2005 at 6:18 PM Post #3 of 19
test more test more
biggrin.gif

Aug 13, 2005 at 1:51 AM Post #4 of 19
That really doesn't mean anything - your sample size is one, and the cable length already includes extra variables.

Some real, repeated, head to head trials would be great. 5 copper cables of one length VS 5 supreme ultimate 4-clover triple gold plati-diamond giga cables of the same length.

Aug 13, 2005 at 6:18 AM Post #5 of 19
The Standard copper cable is picking up a lot more 50Hz off your mains than the Qunex 2 and I’ll take a good guess that either the Qunex 2 has a lot better shielding on it or the Standard copper cable was lying closer to a mains cable when testing

What would be really good is if your did some repeated testing of them, test one then the other and repeat that at least 3 times, 5 being better and 10 if you're really wanting to get some good results. Keep the cables as exactly the same orientation that you can while keeping them away from any other cables or things that may add interference

Aug 13, 2005 at 1:59 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKi][er
What would be really good is if your did some repeated testing of them, test one then the other and repeat that at least 3 times, 5 being better and 10 if you're really wanting to get some good results. Keep the cables as exactly the same orientation that you can while keeping them away from any other cables or things that may add interference

Why? The mainstream press does not follow these procedures when testing major components (electronics), so why does a cable have to prove it's worth with these techniques? (multiple repeated testing)

Aug 13, 2005 at 4:49 PM Post #7 of 19
freq resp and THD remains the same, while noise floor and dynamic range change.

sounds like one cable has better shielding than the other.

Aug 13, 2005 at 4:50 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake
Why? The mainstream press does not follow these procedures when testing major components (electronics), so why does a cable have to prove it's worth with these techniques? (multiple repeated testing)

...and also take into account the fact that a handmade cable would be ridiculously difficult to duplicate to any consistent level of similarity.

Aug 16, 2005 at 10:51 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake

It doesn’t have to prove anything (and I don’t know where you got that from), just I’d be interested and I’m sure some others would be too if a little more scientific approach was taken. The OP has come this far to actually post some real numbers, going a little bit further to try and eliminate some uncertainties would help us understand what is going on

Aug 16, 2005 at 7:31 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKi][er
The OP has come this far to actually post some real numbers, going a little bit further to try and eliminate some uncertainties would help us understand what is going on

I agree. I just received the blacksilver cable and will be making some more tests in the near future.

It's funny that the blacksilver is way brighter than those copper cables, but its frequency response is still the same as they have. Why? Some kindof of impedance differences that don't show up on loopback testing?

Aug 16, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #11 of 19
Can you identify which cable is which in blind A/B testing?

See ya
Steve

Aug 16, 2005 at 10:49 PM Post #12 of 19
Thanks for sharing your data, Maarek99. I look forward to seeing your results from the blacksilver!

Aug 19, 2005 at 5:34 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by maarek99
I agree. I just received the blacksilver cable and will be making some more tests in the near future.

It's funny that the blacksilver is way brighter than those copper cables, but its frequency response is still the same as they have. Why? Some kindof of impedance differences that don't show up on loopback testing?

[size=xx-small]placebo[/size]

Of course, this forum has a no DBT rule. You'll have to perform an ABX yourself.

Aug 20, 2005 at 7:00 AM Post #14 of 19
what's DBT?

thanks for doing the testing, and special thanks for using headphile's cables, which fill every part of my system
biggrin.gif
. I havent A/Bed them with other, more designer cables, but I feel like they are probably not much worse than something that would cost a lot more. i dont want to pay for designer shrink wrap
biggrin.gif

But who knows. It would be awsome to have some solid proof! looking forward to your tests on the blacksilver. and i'll second the importance of mulitiple tests.

whitney

Users who are viewing this thread

Back