One-side-deaf question about headphones
Jan 14, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #16 of 19
  I know this is kind of exotic, but I've been left-side deaf for as long as I can remember, with the right ear working perfectly well for some reason.

Thing is, many recordings - music as well as other audio - use different output for both channels, resulting in either a very silent or no sound for me at all on the right side.

Check your wires first though, you have Left and Right swapped. 

Is there any way to make a kind of plug-in I can put between the source - both my local PC but mainly for mobile purposes (cowon J3) - that will allow me to enjoy my music and audio books in full quality without having this problem?

Not in "full" quality, and not on the J3. For the PC you can check if Foobar has a "downmix to mono" plug in, some soundcard DSPs can also do the same trick, and I suppose if you run a Google search you'll find a global effect app that does the same.  For Androids there are some music players (again, not global effect apps) that can downmix to mono.

What those will do is play all the audio on both channels on both sides.  I say "not in full" because there will now be totally no sense of spatial cues in the recording. Although given your condition you have trouble discerning that either way, I just have to clarify that that's what other people get to hear that you can't so you don't go around upgrading needlessly (there was one guy before who was also deaf in one ear and he blew a lot of money on his system, listening to mono, and then said all that expense was only for "slight tonal changes" or something like that).

Jan 15, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #17 of 19
I think you misunderstood me here. Not the wires are broken, but my left ear ;P I don't hear anything on that side, so I am having problems with recordings that have different audio on either channel.

I switched to the Plenue D in the meantime because my dear J3 bit the dust.

Jan 15, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #18 of 19
  I think you misunderstood me here. Not the wires are broken, but my left ear ;P

You're misunderstanding what I'm saying. I highlighted the problem when I quoted it. If you're "left side deaf"  and your "right ear (is) working perfectly" then how come "there is no sound for me (you) at all on the right side?" 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kageroh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know this is kind of exotic, but I've been left-side deaf for as long as I can remember, with the right ear working perfectly well for some reason.
Thing is, many recordings - music as well as other audio - use different output for both channels, resulting in either a very silent or no sound for me at all on the right side.

The way I understood that, your left ear is deaf, but your right ear can hear sound coming out the left channel and nothing on the right channel, which if that is the case, there's something wrong with the equipment. Something could be broken, plus maybe the cables could have been swapped. Alternately that side could have been broken for a long time but you didn't notice since the left can't hear, and now the channels are reversed did you notice it.

I switched to the Plenue D in the meantime because my dear J3 bit the dust.

Check the sound options, that one might actually have a mono downmix DSP.

Jan 15, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #19 of 19
What I meant is that when there is little sound on the right channel, where I can hear, and the main sound on the left, where I don't, so I can effecitvely hear not much of what is going on. The cans, cables etc. are fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back