One quick question please: um3x and Westone 3, which has more bass?
Sep 14, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #16 of 23
yeah well i've not heard the XJ-03 (nice amp BTW!!), but I have high respect for his gear; I have heard DA11 and I cant see how that could be the problem. very odd this is. I suppose it could just be some sort of odd synergy thing. this view I hold, no matter what the source or amp is; whether it be straight out of iphone 3g or via my DIYMOD->duelund VSF copper foil dock->Lisa III or iriver->D10-->Lisa III, or RME FF400->Lisa III , FF400->D10 or lavry DA10->Melos etc etc at no point would I feel the w3 has less bass. I dont know if this is going to ever be answered either; which sux for you, because if this were me, I would find this really frustrating

Sep 14, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #17 of 23
oh one thing; complys arent really the best choice for UM3X; they actually do soak up some of the treble energy; strangely not so much the W3; this cold be part of the problem that might give a generally warmer tonality; but not so much actually increasing the amount of bass and bass impact. more a lack of highs rather than an abundance of lows (if that makes sense)

Sep 15, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #18 of 23
I 've heard them both.
Westone 3 have big bass, more slam,maybe too much bass for some.
UM3x have good bass(lesser than W3), more clean sound , more balance.

I prefer Westone3.
beyersmile.png

Sep 30, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by solomon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course I have heard both of them, but I am not certain everyone hears the same. Several factors decide what one hears. Canal shape, tighter or looser fit, tips used, burn-in status of IEM, etc. When I compare um3x and 3, I use the same Comply foam tips (short), and try to approximate the fit tightness, and what I hear is, um3x has a stronger bass. The most prominent difference is in the mids, where um3x is warmer and fuller, but I think the extra midrange energy also extends to the low register, giving um3x some more bass energy.

But I guess in the world of IEMs, people just hear differently, especally talking about bass. And then perception of bass shapes the whole spectrum. Bass produced by IEMs is greatly decided by fit, tips and canal shape. For some IEMs such as ER4, how deeply you put them into your canal will decide how much bass. So it can be very personal.

Have to go on averages with this one since everyone hears different. The W3's have more bass.

Sep 30, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #21 of 23
I've been wondering about these issues myself, at least in part because I'd like to try both of the westones, but have not heard either. i do have ie8s and shure 530s (along with some other stuff), and would be curious how the westies compare.

now for what I think explains some of these sonic disparities. the sound of an iem (or any audio component) is going to be a function of both its amplitude response (aka frequency response) and its phase response - time domain stuff.

an iem with better phase response can sound like it has more bass than one with accentuated bass response in the frequency domain, because the overtones line up corrrectly, and the brain will "fill in" the fundamental.

hard hitting bass, and good impact on things like bass drum whacks isn't from the bass range, it's a midrange thing because the overtones are in phase and give it the leading edge...

so, i think that a lot of the disagreements about the sonics of some of these iems, apart from fit issues, are phase-related, and alter the way people perceive and describe the sound of various iems - e.g., the 530's being seriously rolled off in the treble- i think it's largely that the treble is in phase, and doesn't stick out as much as in other designs.

imagine a barbershop quartet (not my thing, but a good analogy).. where the four singers are singing at the same volume, but are off a little bit from being in exact unison - that's what i am trying to get at with the phase thing - it effects how we perceive tonal balance as well as timbre, and also effects how we hear soundtage and imaging.

just my two cents worth....

Sep 30, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by selkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yet an other paradox. w3's bass is too much for you, um3x have good bass, and yet you prefer W3..

i think you misquoted 'you' when the poster said 'some', possibly meaning 'others'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back