One pair open headphones, one pair closed headphones, ~$300-$350 total?
Jul 16, 2014 at 9:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

trwnh

New Head-Fier
My Sennheiser HD418 (I forget which) broke down recently after years of use, so I've been looking to replace it with a good pair of headphones. I've been wanting the HD598 for a while, which hovers around $170-210 on Amazon these days, but since they're open-backed, and since my HD418 broke, I'll also need a pair of closed headphones.

I've been looking at the ATH-M50/x, but the other option I've considered is just getting an HD449 to replace the HD418 that broke.

The HD449 is $79 on Amazon.
The M50 is $120 on Amazon for the old, coiled version in black.
The M50x is $170 for the black version.
The M50xBL is $190 for the blue version, which looks really nice.
The HD598 is $184 at the time of writing this, and also looks nice.

I'm not sure it's worth +$50 for a removable cord, or +$70 for a removable cord and better style. (I probably wouldn't even mod an M50 for removable cords.)
Plus. at $170/$190, the M50x is getting close to HD598 in price range, so it's looking less attractive due to the price.

Should I get the M50x and forget the HD598 for now while I save money? If I get the HD598, should I go for the M50 instead of the M50x, or save even more money with the HD449?

---

Relevant listening needs information:
I mostly listen to (post-hardcore / progressive) rock, jazz, classical, and video game music, with occasional electronic (house, glitch, trance).
I also game and rarely watch movies, but would also like to monitor a microphone / video camera sometimes.
I don't like when the bass is too heavy and drowns out the other sounds. I need as balanced a sound as possible in this price range.

FWIW, the HD418s were OK for the low price I bought them many years ago ($50-60, I think), though they could have been better, obviously.

Jul 16, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #2 of 21
I would personally just go for a nicer closed pair like the NAD HP50's at ~$300. Look into it, for sure! If you feel you must have one open and one closed, check out the NXV XPT100 for closed cans (cheap, neutral, incredible value and sound, reminiscent of HP50's kinda)... and then maybe the 598's or something else for open. I just actually did a review of many cans in your price range... http://www.head-fi.org/t/726848/headphone-palooza-shoot-out-8-cans-reviewed-here... NVX and HD598 included. I've tried M-50[X]'s a few times, but haven't gotten to hear them next to any other cans so I couldn't really rank them for ya. They're a little closed in and V-shaped, but great for lower volumes.

Jul 16, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #3 of 21
I would definitely prefer having both types. This limits me to ~$200 each at most, currently. But in one order, I don't think I could pay more than $300-350, which is why I've tried looking in the ~$170 max range for closed headphones, since the ~$180 HD598 balances out to $350.

Jul 16, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #4 of 21
I own both the M50xBL and HD598.  For dedicated home use, you can't go wrong with the HD598 at the price range.  Unfortunately, I've had my M50xBL since launch and I'm not really loving them.  I'll acknowledge that they sound very good, but they are not AWESOME at any one particular thing.  For example, I listen mostly to edm, rap, and dancehall/reggae and the M50x's sound fine but they definitely don't sound any better than my AKG K181dj. They are much more comfortable than my K181's (which are like a vice grip), but they still aren't really all that comfortable and so I never really use them for the music I primarily listen to - if I want comfort I go for the HD598 or one of my other pairs.

I don't know what your use case is, but why not pick something more genre specific and less versatile than the M50x (e.g. Grados for rock).

Jul 17, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #5 of 21
Yeah, I've pretty much determined I'm going to eventually get the HD598 because at close to $180, it's worth it. But that leaves me with limited money with which to buy a closed headphone, because while I'd love an open pair for home listening and such things, I'd still need a closed pair for when I don't want to leak sound, when I want isolation, etc. I think I'd prefer an all-around pair as opposed to a genre-specific headphone, because while I listen to rock and electronic 60% of the time, 40% of the time I'm listening to things like jazz, classical, and VGM that need a balanced profile as opposed to emphasized bass, for example. Plus, I'm not always going to be using my closed pair to just listen to music, and I need it to occasionally double as a passable monitor for my microphone or video camera. I'm fine with a pair of headphones that isn't awesome at any one thing, as long as it's at least good with most everything.

Aug 10, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #6 of 21
I found out the M50s on Amazon is $109, which is cheaper than the $120 M50. Is it worth going from a coiled cable to a straight cable for $10 less?

Aug 10, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #7 of 21
I'd be more concerned about cable length, get the shortest one you can to get the job done. Otherwise, might as well save ten bucks.

Aug 10, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #8 of 21
So, I'm going to hijack my thread a bit: Given my use case, are there any other recommendations at the $110 price range?

As stated, 
-- I mostly listen to (post-hardcore / progressive / punk / indie) rock, metal, jazz, classical, and video game music, with occasional electronic (house, glitch, trance).
-- I also game and rarely watch movies, but would also like to monitor a microphone / video camera sometimes.
-- I need as balanced a sound as possible in this price range.

My current options:
Sennheiser HD449, $79
Logitech UE6000, $88
NVX XPT100, $100
ATH-M50s, $110

Anything else I should be considering at $110 or less?

Aug 10, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #9 of 21
For a mic within budget, just grab the ~$7 Zalman clip on. The UE's are a great value, some prefer them over the M50's IIRC. The NVX's are more neutral and detailed, while still keeping a wet bass. Or tastes are quite different, and I haven't heard the UE's, so I don't feel comfortable making a recommendation out of those choices. If you listen at quieter volumes, the M50's are probably a save bet. Also, there's no shame in starting your own thread, you'll get more attention and this OP can take this thread wherever he needs.

Aug 10, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #10 of 21
For a mic within budget, just grab the ~$7 Zalman clip on.

I already have a mic, I meant monitoring it through my computer when doing recordings. :)

The UE's are a great value, some prefer them over the M50's IIRC. The NVX's are more neutral and detailed, while still keeping a wet bass. Or tastes are quite different, and I haven't heard the UE's, so I don't feel comfortable making a recommendation out of those choices. If you listen at quieter volumes, the M50's are probably a save bet.

Neutral sounds good. I was leaning towards the M50 when I made this thread, but now I'm looking for recommendations more in the $100 range than the $150-190 range, since I'm trying to be as economic as possible. (My mouse also stopped working recently :frowning2: have to replace that as well...) I listen at mostly medium volumes.

Also, there's no shame in starting your own thread, you'll get more attention and this OP can take this thread wherever he needs.

I'm the OP. :wink: I just didn't feel justified in starting a new thread for a similar question. The situation hasn't changed, just the target.

Aug 10, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #11 of 21
Oh lol. My b. I knew that. Awk.

Aug 10, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #12 of 21
Lucky for you I have most of these, I'd go with price performance and save all the monies. For balanced but still "fun" I'd take the ATH M40x as it's a damn good headphone with plenty of extension on both ends and is definitely more balanced than the M50. The NVX is really good as it offers a wide soundstage and better comfort, but that's what you're getting open headphones too, for the soundstage. I'd save even more and just get the HD558 they are great stock and you can do the foam mod and get them close to the 598 while saving a bunch of money. Then you can take all that money you saved and treat yourself to dinner or might as well complete the collection and get a decent IEM and be done with it.

Aug 10, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #14 of 21
@sebajun Regarding the 558 mod, I think the people who want the 598 and decide to mod the 558 instead might be disappointed or wonder 'what if?'. For me, I just thought the 598 was bright, lean in the bass, and didn't like the design. The modded 558 brought down the upper mids, more in line with the 598's and I think that's where people started saying it sounds just like the more expensive set. I thought the 598 still sounded a little more open, and slightly more resolving, but I can't have a bassless headphone and the mod added some punch and improved the soundstage of the 558 so it was an easy decision, for my tastes. The XBA-1 sucked, didn't hear the XBA-2 and the 3 is really nothing special especially at the price I paid. I prefer cheap iems for out and about and even casual listening at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back