One of the best around?
Sep 29, 2003 at 3:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

SuperMario

Head-Fier
Hi, guys!

I'm trying to provide my Prehead/HD600 combo with an outstanding source...

Does anyone have any experience with this machine?

Check it out! www.resolutionaudio.com/cd_player.html

According to some reviews I was able to read on the web, this is a very fine, analogue-sounding, cd player - it seems able, for instance, to beat the Cary 306/200 (and some other great players) in every respect and... for less money!!

I am considering getting this player to pair it with my recently purchased Corda Prehead (LM version). Would this be a wise choice?

I would appreciate your comments on this. Thanks in advance.

Mario

PS - I used the search button and got no useful information.
I have listened to the Cary 306/200 and I guess I could live with it. Something even better and cheaper wouldn't hurt, right?

biggrin.gif

Sep 29, 2003 at 5:17 AM Post #2 of 2
I think that at this price point, the notion of one cd player "beating" another is a little silly. Everyone likes something a little different. If this cd player sounds better to you, then for you it is the better choice.

Personally, I compared the the Cary 308T to the top of the line Accuphase. I liked the former, but likely this was a result of my own weird tastes, and the rest of the system they were playing through. Most would disagree with me.

Indeed, a good way to understand what people generally prefer (outside of the world of advertising) is to see how people vote ... to see what choices they make. If you want to get a sense of how people as a whole feel two players compare, compare the new and used markets, how well the players hold their values, do they sell quickly, are there many of them for sale used, etc. Why you would care about this, however, is hard to know. It is better to just listen to them both unless you are planning on buying and selling regularly.

Last, there are a lot of players available in this price range. I would use reviews to narrow your search to a handful, but then go out a hear them. Or, find a dealer who tends to agree with your ear and take their suggestion. My old local audio shop (which was Tone Studio in Indianapolis about 10 years ago) carried CAT, Melos, CEC, Aranov, Symphonic Line, Sumo, and a few others. I was regularly amazed that everything I ever heard in that shop (even the cheap stuff) sounded better than what I heard in other shops around town. I think this is the real value of a good dealer, and the best way to find what is right for you.

-d

Users who are viewing this thread

Back