One of my MS-1 comfies is fading yellow/brown in certain areas.
Dec 3, 2005 at 11:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

kurt_fire

100+ Head-Fier
here's a picture of my 3 month old MS-1s:

IMG_0665.jpg

If you look closely at my right earpiece, it's starting to turn a yellowish, brown color in certain areas. I initially noticed this problem maybe a month or so ago. Two days ago I decided to wash my pads in warm water with shampoo, thinking these brown spots may wash out. They didn't.

I should note that these phones sit on my desk as seen in this picture all day, 7 days a week. They are commonly in the path of direct sunlight because my computer desk sits right next to a large window. I was thinking that this may have caused this problem, but it has only happened on one pad, not them both. So that almost rules out that theory.

Anybody know what could be causing this?

Dec 3, 2005 at 11:15 PM Post #2 of 16
yeah i recently noticed a part of my grado bowls turning brown too... yeew...

Dec 4, 2005 at 3:59 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
I depends if both receive the same ammount of sunlight or not. Personally I would not let them be exposed to the UV rays.

What kind of harm do you think UV rays can do to headphones?

Dec 4, 2005 at 5:08 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by kurt_fire
What kind of harm do you think UV rays can do to headphones?

Over time, UV rays damage most (all?) plastics, fibers, and organic materials like leather. And I'm uncertain of their effect on metals. Either way, it's nothing positive.

Dec 4, 2005 at 5:16 AM Post #8 of 16
The comfies on my SR 80's are also changing color. I doubt it's because
of sunlight. I assumed the natural oils in my ears were causing the color change.

Dec 4, 2005 at 5:21 AM Post #10 of 16
Yeah, but why only one earpiece? And also only in certain areas?

Dec 4, 2005 at 10:24 AM Post #11 of 16
My SR-60 pads did the same, I was never quite sure if it was the sun or my ears that did it. It was more pronounced on the side closest to the window though, so I'm slightly favouring the sunlight explanation. Also, it didn't start happening until I started keeping them near a window. Meh, pads are pretty cheap and it doesn't affect the sound.

Dec 4, 2005 at 2:09 PM Post #13 of 16
maybe it's because of the way you put them down/hang them on the stand. Maybe one pads is catching more sunlight than the other most of the time...

I'd say get a pair of senn pads, do the hole mod and dye them black and dye the comfies along with them.
biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2005 at 9:44 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino
get a pair of hd-414 (with mods) and you won't have that yellow spot problem anymore.
biggrin.gif

I ordered 2 pair from Sennheisers website on Nov. 11. I still haven't received them yet. I don't foresee myself buying another Sennheiser product in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back