One more set..ATH M50 ...A700 .. or Grado 325is
Jan 27, 2010 at 3:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ovrclkd

100+ Head-Fier
I looking to get one more set of headphones,
rolleyes.gif
leaving the price out of the equation should I get the M50, A700 or 325is. I currently have 595's & 702's. have always been very curious about the Grados, but I read good things about the M50 and A700 current source would be PC / USB to Maverick D1. I would occasionally use them to monitor though the 595's will probably move into that role.
One more input: I'm a circumarul fan, will the grados drive me nuts?

Jan 27, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #2 of 8
I love my a700's, but seeing you have the 702's I'm not sure why you would want them, as that seems like am obvious downgrade (unless you just don't like them?) It would be hard to not see why you shouldn't just go with the Grados.

Jan 27, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #4 of 8
Thank you for the quick replies, I think I'll move the Grados up on the short list.

Jan 27, 2010 at 6:32 AM Post #6 of 8
Definitely the Grado's. Heck, if you love them so much in the future, you can get the magnum upgrade
biggrin.gif
Pretty pricey at $399 but has been stated it is well worth it. Some people say it's in between the HP-1000 and PS-1! Supposed to have upfront presentation of the PS-1 with it's speed, but the bass of the HP-1000 I think.

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:43 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go for a pair of Grados

Quote:

Originally Posted by debitsohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
go grado from that list. i dont own any of them but i think it would be a good contrast to your current hps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely the Grado's.

x2. Go for Grados cos I think they have a unique presentation too of musical sound.

Jan 27, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #8 of 8
I agree that given your current line up, the Grados will offer you something new and completely different to what you already have, helping justify getting another pair more in your mind.

Re. the circumaural thing - I may get shot down for saying this but if you're used to circum-aurals you may find comfort issues with Grados, although there are lots of options.

Bowl pads are designed to pin the ears to create a chamber between the transducer and your ear, this can be uncomfortable for some, although washing the pads makes them softer.

You can turn them backwards and they put a lot less pressure on any one part of the ear, but the foam on the back is stiff and might chafe a little (a ring of HD414 or comfie foam glued to the back might help though, I'm considering doing this myself).

You can get flats, similar in comfort to backwards bowls but a different, bassier, less spacy sound. You can cut off the parts between the slits and they get a bit more comfortable, again washing them will soften them a bit.

You can quarter mod HD414 pads forwards or backwards - very comfortable but for me sucks the vibrancy out of the Grado sound. I really don't get why people seem to like this mod so much.

You can quarter mod comfies and this is a lot better in my book than HD414 comfort and SQ wise, albeit more expensive.

You can have comfies as sold - a much derrided choice as it holds back some of the detail (but also a lot of the brightness) of Grado phones a little that many love, but I think this is underratted - Grados sound great with the smooth sound comfies give them and still have plenty of detail.

Finally, you can convert them into circum aural phones with headphile C-pads.

EDIT: Should point out that every option above changes the sound signature, so you may find yourself being dictated by SQ preferences rather than comfort anyway...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back