One more K701 owner xD
Apr 12, 2006 at 7:58 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
Everybody's break in experience will vary. If you are breaking in with gentle music or bass heavy music, what you get at 75 hours will differ from somebody else at 75 hours.

I played Madonna Confession's CD for my first 50 hours unattended with about 85dB peaks (estimated) as it has a very shrill treble and thumpy regular bass, and both the bass and treble really changed.

I think you are right, the time of braking in process might depend of the volume and type of music played, but the pattern of sound change I experienced with K701 was similar to what many people had heard with Sony SCD-777 player. From good (out of the box) it became very bad at about 50 to 75 hours and only after 100 hours it was back and then some. I wonder if I am the only one who experience that breaking in is not linear for K701.

Apr 12, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borus
I think you are right, the time of braking in process might depend of the volume and type of music played, but the pattern of sound change I experienced with K701 was similar to what many people had heard with Sony SCD-777 player. From good (out of the box) it became very bad at about 50 to 75 hours and only after 100 hours it was back and then some. I wonder if I am the only one who experience that breaking in is not linear for K701.

These are the kind of things that can be attributed to getting use to the sound. While I believe in burn in quite a bit, there is a certain psychological portion of it, and this is where it comes in. Some days it will sound like crap, others it will blossom; this is just you getting use to the sound. Don't worry, soon both the headphones and your ears will burn in and I'm sure they will sound fantastic =D

Apr 12, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
Mine were cheaper from Todd the Vinyl Junkie than that.

We were talking about k701 in europe
tongue.gif
I think Todd the Vinyl Junkie is in the us.
I saw them at 399$ (~330 euros) at todd + shipping to europe that would have been a lot more expensive to me ,with the importing tax that i get each time i buy something big like this it would have costed me a bit more than 400 Euros in the end.
Thats why i try to buy my headphones in europe.

Apr 12, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
I'm going to be an owner soon too, got one on the way from HeadRoom! Should be here on Friday!

Although I don't understand why it shipped from Montana to Tennessee (where it is now according to FedEx) and is now going to make a backwards trip to Colorado. I mean hell I could've practically driven up to HeadRoom to pick my order up! Ah well...

I plan on burning in mine with Orbital's Middle of Nowhere CD, my standard test for high frequencies. I love treble. If it gets burned in enough by the 20th, I might be bringing them to the Nat'l Meet, but that will have to wait and see.
biggrin.gif

I believe all FedEx Express packages have to go to their Memphis location for sorting before they go anywhere else.

Apr 12, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by hawat
We were talking about k701 in europe
tongue.gif
I think Todd the Vinyl Junkie is in the us.
I saw them at 399$ (~330 euros) at todd + shipping to europe that would have been a lot more expensive to me ,with the importing tax that i get each time i buy something big like this it would have costed me a bit more than 400 Euros in the end.
Thats why i try to buy my headphones in europe.

Give Todd a call. You'll be pleased.

Apr 12, 2006 at 9:46 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
I played Madonna Confession's CD for my first 50 hours unattended with about 85dB peaks (estimated) as it has a very shrill treble and thumpy regular bass, and both the bass and treble really changed.

Lol i burned mine with the same CD
basshead.gif

Apr 12, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borus
Jim, in my case at 75 hours they sounded horrible, as if all ingredients of the sound were in disarray, and I could not tolerate the sound longer that 5 minutes. Then at 100 hours the coherency was back and the sound was better than that out of the box. At 150 hours I noticed the bass became stronger and so on. So, the burning in was not linear in my case; the sound was good (only bright) - out of the box, better at 25 hors and very bad at about 75 hours. Then excellent at 100 hours (not bright and coherent).

That about mirrors my experience with the HD650's, so those kinds of non-linear changes aren't just limited to AKG.

Apr 12, 2006 at 10:28 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by BRBJackson
That about mirrors my experience with the HD650's, so those kinds of non-linear changes aren't just limited to AKG.

Thanks, good to know that I am not the only one who noticed that.

Apr 12, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleEs
Did you have to pay Custom/VAT when it was delivered?

In theory it is payable when the package is delivered to you. However, it seems hit & miss in my experience - sometimes you get away with it.

If possible, I try to buy in the EU unless the price is way out of line with other territories, which it isn't now with the K701's. A lot of the early buyers in the US seem to have got really good deals but doesn't appear to be the case now.

Apr 13, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #27 of 30
Yea, I did have to pay custom fees. But it still came end up cheaper than if I had to buy from EU
eek.gif
[Let alone in the UK]

Having said that, it is probably less attractive now that the price has gone up (by $20?). It wouldn't make too much difference anymore... Although you -are- supporting HF by buying from a sponsor
wink.gif

Apr 20, 2006 at 9:22 AM Post #28 of 30
Umm, interesting. I am enjoying my K701 a lot today. I can't pinpoint exactly what I like about them right now, but I just can't bear to take them off and put on the Grado to evaluate the difference. I think I'll just enjoy them on my head for now
biggrin.gif

Maybe my brain is finally adjusted to their sound... which is nice since I still remember being pretty underwhelmed when I started this thread
eek.gif

Apr 28, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #29 of 30
Last bump. I don't know how many hours the cans at now, but I guess it must be in the 200 hours region. In terms of listening, probably in the 30 hours region (which mean that my brain is probably well adjusted now - it doesn't take hundred of hours for the brain to get used to certain sound).

I am now pleased with my purchase. When I first plugged in, I noticed that the K701 were weak against my HF-1 for a number of hip-hop track I made it go through: I didn't find the soundstage considerably larger, and the bass was definitely light. Actually, the whole presence was light compared to the Grado. Listening to the same tracks now, and coming up with a very different verdict. Whether it is the can burning in, or my brain burning in, well, doesn't matter. The K701 officially sound great for me
biggrin.gif

Of course, I still would like to compare the HD650 side by side - I am pretty sure the HD650 has even more bass, what I am wonder is whether I would like extra bass. But for now, I think the K701 is a keeper.

Apr 28, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #30 of 30
I'm so close to buying the K701 that it's not funny.

The one thing I want to know is how does the deepest bass compare with a pair of headphones like the Senn HD497? I know they're in a different league, but I found the bass of those cans to be tight, controlled and articulate. I can't imagine better bass. If the K701 are the same or better (I will be using a RSA Hornet to drive them), then I'm definitely getting them.

FYI, I have the HD650 and find that although there's lots of mid bass, its wooly and making up for a lack of response in the lower bass frequencies, that the HD497s did much better. Those things shook my ear lobes on some tracks, and their supraaural!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back