One main Headphone or Two cheaper headphones??
Apr 13, 2006 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

100+ Head-Fier
I want to spend $200 to $250 dollars on headphones, but should I get one main headphone, or two cheaper headphones that go well together? If I were to get just one main 'phone, please recommend, I was thinking a Grado, but I don't really know. If I were to get two can's, I would probaly get something like a MS-1 and a Sennheiser HD555/595 or maybe a HD580. What do you think?

Apr 13, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #2 of 46
I think you can get two decent (good) cans for the price mentioned and you can cover more genres than just one set of cans. Just my opinion but I am a believer in using certain cans for genres they may excel at.

Apr 13, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #3 of 46
I personally believe that max $125 per can is too low to go for a set of cans that you'll end up keeping in the long run. That's just the way I see it. There will likely be many cans that can do what your cans can do, but better.

Apr 13, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #5 of 46
I'd go with one main one....or two expensive ones.
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #9 of 46
Do you know what kind of sound you like? How important is bass for you, as opposed to detailed treble? Are you going to buy an amp for these, and if so is that included in the 250 budget?

Additionally I would recommend only getting one pair if your budget is two hundred fifty USD. Multiple rigs start to come into the issue when even the best (or reasonably available, so no HE90 or R10) cans fail to satisfy a person's taste for multiple genres. And I'm talking about multiple home rigs. Not too many people have one rig for portable and home listening.

Apr 13, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #10 of 46
Get one main headphone and a subsidiary one for when you want a change. If you go with the Sennheiser 580 or 595, throw in a KSC-75 or Portapro for a taste of the Grado sound. On the other hand, if you're going the Grado route, I'd get the SR-225 and a PX100 for some of that Sennheiser presentation.

EDIT: I think SR-225 and KSC-75 combo is kind of redundant. SR-225 + PX100 should cost you around $250.

Apr 13, 2006 at 11:26 PM Post #12 of 46
Well the reason I am thinking about the SR-225 is because people keep telling me that they are great for rock, which is mainly what I listen to, and also because they repersent the one of the best bang for your bucks in the Grado lineup. But I am a bit reluctant to get a Grado, because its suppost to be uncomfortable, I have heard of the poor build quality, and I'm not sure how they perform with other music genre's (can someone tell me if the SR225 can do more then just rock). If I were to get a Grado, I would not get an amp, because, well I didn't think they were needed. I was also thinking about the HD595, or the Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO. If I did get the HD595, I would also not get an amp, but if I did get DT990 PRO, then I would get an amp, and that is not included in the $250 price.

Apr 14, 2006 at 12:18 AM Post #14 of 46
I'd stick with quality. Buy one now and another one later. Otherwise you will probably end up upgrading both of the ones you buy if you catch "the bug". I've kept every high-end headphone I've bought because (not only do I like them all) but I buy them spaced far apart so I can get better headphones and not waste money upgrading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back