One last shootout!!!...Canamp vs Lavry DA10 for K701s
Jan 15, 2009 at 11:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Max Dread

Head-Fier
Hi

I recently got my amp of choice down to the last 2 for my K701s: namely the Heed Canamp and the Shanling PH100. And as both are around the same money in the UK, I'm favouring the Canamp because of the awesome reviews it gets.

But one last thing has cropped up - the Lavry DA10. Now I know it is not a like for like comparison in any sense whatsoever! But I would still be interested which option folk round here would go for.

My source at the moment is an EMU 1820M, and my predominant usage is studio work (mixing, etc). But obviously I do and will use my set up for enjoyment. I've heard great things about the Lavry as a converter, and quite good things about it's headphone amp as well. But I know the K701s are fussy buggers......

Cheers guys and gals(?)

Max

Jan 15, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #2 of 4
Really, for best results get a Lavry DA-10 and a canamp or ph100. The K701s really need a dedicated powerhouse of a amp to sound at their best.

Either the Canamp or PH100 will drive the K701s to excellent effect. I personally have owned a ph100 and can verfy it matches the k701 cans awesomly well.

Many people these days tend to scrimp on their source components when really its the most important element in the audio chain. "Garbage in" even with the best amp = "garbage out".

For that reason alone the Lavry is a very good buy. While you save up for a PH100 or Canamp you can at least know that its allegedly half decent internal amp will get you through in the mean time.

Jan 15, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Dread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi

I recently got my amp of choice down to the last 2 for my K701s: namely the Heed Canamp and the Shanling PH100. And as both are around the same money in the UK, I'm favouring the Canamp because of the awesome reviews it gets.

But one last thing has cropped up - the Lavry DA10. Now I know it is not a like for like comparison in any sense whatsoever! But I would still be interested which option folk round here would go for.

My source at the moment is an EMU 1820M, and my predominant usage is studio work (mixing, etc). But obviously I do and will use my set up for enjoyment. I've heard great things about the Lavry as a converter, and quite good things about it's headphone amp as well. But I know the K701s are fussy buggers......

Cheers guys and gals(?)

Max

...source first?

Jan 15, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #4 of 4
I own two Lavry DA10s and really enjoy what they give me. I feed a Yamamoto HA-02 amp (Ultrasone Edition 9) with one and a Headamp KGSS (eletrostatic) amp (Stax SR-007MkII) with the other. Yes, it's internal amp is not bad either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back