One Last Purchase! Rap Cans?
Feb 3, 2006 at 2:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Sl300

Head-Fier
Alrite my sig has the cans avaliable to me. I listen to 95% hiphop/rap.

I have the hd595's (50 ohm) right now but im looking for more of a thump
biggrin.gif

Im not a bass head but the hd595's seem a little light. Another thing I was looking for is a set of cans that would help me listen to the LYRICS. The 595's are a little too laid back/polite.

I was looking at the ath-a900/a900ltd, or can someone suggestion something else?

*NOTE: im running off of a ONBOARD soundcard, should i get a new soundcard or get an amp? Or just get a set of cans?

From my understanding even if i puchase a higher set of cans i wouldnt be using its potential, so would it be better to purchase a soundcard or amp?

Im looking for a closed set so i can lug these to the library
biggrin.gif
Now if im bringing them out to the library i would be running it off of my laptop soundcard... so would an amp be better suited?

Feb 3, 2006 at 2:50 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sl300
Another thing I was looking for is a set of cans that would help me listen to the LYRICS.

This is what a lot of people don't get. Hip-hop requires good mids because of the vocals. I wouldn't want to use an amp or open headphones in the library.

Feb 3, 2006 at 2:58 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
This is what a lot of people don't get. Hip-hop requires good mids because of the vocals. I wouldn't want to use an amp or open headphones in the library.

yeah! esp 'real' hiphop *you have nice some taste i just looked at ur list of music

Okay well back to topic, so i am looking at a closed set, lugging around an amp to the library isnt the best thing to do.. so hopefully there's a nice set of closed cans and as 3lusiv3 mentioned, nice mids that dont need an amp

from what i've read the a900/a900ltds are more for the bass heads?

Feb 3, 2006 at 3:12 PM Post #5 of 19
The A900's are nice closed headphones with good bass and mids. I'm listening to them now because my wife is sleeping so I'm using closed headphones, but I'm using an amp. I actually prefer the Hd 595 most of the time. The Beyer DT 990 Pro are also good for hip-hop but are open. The A900's are quite big so i wouldn't use them away from home. If you already have the HD 595 for home use you're probably better off getting other headphones for portable use. The Senn HD 25-1 are great, but pricey, otherwise the akg k26p (which I haven't heard) could be an option, or IEM's.

The A900's are great for hip-hop!

Feb 3, 2006 at 8:09 PM Post #6 of 19
The K26P's thump nicely for their size/price/portability. They're closed and no amp necessary.

Feb 4, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #7 of 19
so a900 best closed hiphop 'phone? woudl it be to big to bring around to places? and if i REALLY feel like it, can these babies go portable?
confused.gif
confused.gif

Feb 4, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #8 of 19
You definitely want to upgrade that sound card before you put any more money into headphones. A new sound card like a E-MU 1812m will make a HUGE difference in sound quality and may even be worth holding off on the headphones to buy it first. After that the A900ltds are a very nice set of closed cans and will provide that extra "thump" that you need while still providing a clear mid range. And yes, they can be used portably, although theoretically you can use anything for portable use, for example I use my 650s sometimes for portable use, and since the ltds are closed back you don't have to turn them down like a set of open cans however, you might get some funny looks if you use them as they are quite large, people always stare at me when I have full size cans on.

Feb 4, 2006 at 3:48 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
You definitely want to upgrade that sound card before you put any more money into headphones. A new sound card like a E-MU 1812m will make a HUGE difference in sound quality and may even be worth holding off on the headphones to buy it first. After that the A900ltds are a very nice set of closed cans and will provide that extra "thump" that you need while still providing a clear mid range. And yes, they can be used portably, although theoretically you can use anything for portable use, for example I use my 650s sometimes for portable use, and since the ltds are closed back you don't have to turn them down like a set of open cans however, you might get some funny looks if you use them as they are quite large, people always stare at me when I have full size cans on.

biggrin.gif
Thanks for the advice
I will be looking into a new soundcard in a few days but it will take a while for the headphones to arrive after i order so i will order first then look for a soundcard which can be picked up locally.

Now the question is..
a900 vs a900ltd? worth the upgrade?

Lol i dont care too much if people are staring, full sized cans own

Feb 4, 2006 at 4:18 PM Post #11 of 19
If you want bass, you can get plenty of bass with a decent soundcard.
I can't believe you use 595's with onboard sound!!! Those cans are used to like 10% of their potential this way.

Get (in order of price) SB Live 24bit, Prodigy 7.1, x-fi ..

Feb 4, 2006 at 4:49 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by eugenius
If you want bass, you can get plenty of bass with a decent soundcard.
I can't believe you use 595's with onboard sound!!! Those cans are used to like 10% of their potential this way.

Get (in order of price) SB Live 24bit, Prodigy 7.1, x-fi ..

im using an onboard card, so do i also have to replace my mother board? or cani just disable it?

Feb 5, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sl300
im using an onboard card, so do i also have to replace my mother board? or cani just disable it?

am i good to go from the hd595's to the a900's? looking to buy soon
tongue.gif

Feb 5, 2006 at 3:06 AM Post #14 of 19
- There is no way that A900's can be used for portable use
- The HD 595 that you already have are great for home use and getting A900's won't be an upgrade

What I would do is improve the home setup to make the most of the HD 595's and get other headphones for portable use.

Feb 5, 2006 at 5:47 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
- There is no way that A900's can be used for portable use
- The HD 595 that you already have are great for home use and getting A900's won't be an upgrade

What I would do is improve the home setup to make the most of the HD 595's and get other headphones for portable use.

biggrin.gif
I like this idea, makes more sense

soundcard + amp? It'll be alot of reading/learning but i'll do it, makes more sense this way

then i could pick up a closed can after coop term is finished

Users who are viewing this thread

Back