One headphones to rule them all, or buy two pairs (Sennheiser Momentum / 598 / V-Moda m-80)
Nov 12, 2012 at 9:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

mk2012

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I am writing to seek your advice after auditioning headphones for few hours, and reading way to many reviews.
I am looking to buy a great pair of headphones, and I am not sure if I should buy one to use both home and on the go, or should I buy two pairs.

My Setup:
At home, I got Peach Tree Decco connected to my MBA.
On the go: iphone 5

My Music:
Mostly old rock (Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Dire Straits), and Electronic. Some classical music, but not as much.
Other than that, when I am at home, I connect my headphones to my DAC to listen to myself play the electric guitar.

My Needs:
Ideally, on the go, I'd like something small, which I can use on the subway, or while walking down the streets on NYC.
I currently got the boss QC15, which I bought to use while flying (I do that quite often). Having a mic+music control is a nice bonus, and will make life a bit easier.

The QC15, take some space on my bag, and their sound quality is not that amazing, which makes them neither great for home usage, nor perfect for on the go. This is why I am now debating going with 2 new headphones rather than one.

Comfort: super critical, as I sit infront of computer for many hours, and I'd like to focus on the music rather than my ears hurting.
SoundStage and Clarity are far more important to me than Bass. 

I don't like in ear headphones, and I much prefer over the ears headphones due to comfort.
However, since true over the ears headphones are usually big, I might go with on ears for portables, and over the ears for home usage.

What I tried:
I know that the list below is not consistent, but in general it represents headphones that I enjoyed listening to.

Home: I loved the Senn 598/600, Denon D-600, Beyer 990.
All of the above sounded very well, and they were comfortable.
Neither of the above is probably a good choice for on the go.

On the go: I am ashamed to admit, but I kinda liked the Urbanears headphones. Very simple design, fold very nicely. have a micline, and rather cheap. On the other hand, they were not that comfortable.

What I didn't try, and look interesting: Sennheiser Momentum, V-Moda M100, Beyer 1350, Denon d5000.
I love the momentum design, but it dosen't fold. V-moda folds nicely, but I am not sure how good they are for home usage, and they are a bit "out there" for my style.

Suggestion:
If you were me, what would you do? Would you get a pair that can be used for both things, or is it a better idea to buy 2 pairs?
If I'll split, I'll likely get a "cheap" portable. For portable, I am considering Jays V-Jayz or Senn PX100 IIi, or Urbanears.

Nov 12, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #2 of 2
Just reporting that after not being able to find the Senn Momentum to try, I went and bought them at the apple store.
They look really nice, but I am afraid that they are not for me.

1st, I was less than impressed with the sound. Senn 600 and 598 were much more my cup of tea.
2nd, I didn't find them comfortable enough. Senn 598, denon d7100 are WAY more comfortable.
Speaking of which, the 7100 sounded amazing, and were super comfortable, but they are too expensive.

Hack even my sony 7506 are more comfortable and easier to carry around.
I'm returning the momentum tomorrow to the apple store. can't justify their price.

I guess that I'll look for used d5000 or d600 and use the 7506 on the go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back