One happy Beyer owner with a question.
Apr 29, 2005 at 5:02 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
who would have thought...
wink.gif

Yeah, I knew that was coming. I'll just say I was young and naive. Interestingly enough, by the way, my 880s came with the long non-coiled cable. Are they making all of them like this now? I knew Todd's stock was like this, but I actually got mine from Headroom. Checking back, I noticed that Headroom lists the cable as being non-coiled... when was the switch? Did Beyer realize that coiled=annoying?

Apr 29, 2005 at 5:49 PM Post #17 of 23
I dunno what's more annoying, 3 meters of coil or straight wire?
smily_headphones1.gif

3 meters?! WHY?

Apr 29, 2005 at 6:12 PM Post #18 of 23
The coiled wire is 3 meters when it is fully streched out, unstretched it is about one meter long.

Apr 29, 2005 at 6:27 PM Post #19 of 23
I had HD 280s for the longest time, and those things had a coiled wire that was about 3 M when stretched. It was very annoying when connected to something that was more than a meter away from you, because you always felt the tug from the direction of the source. However, I expected no problems since the 880s actually include a 10 foot extension in the box. They still include it, even though the normal cord isn't coiled anymore.

Apr 29, 2005 at 7:58 PM Post #20 of 23
I got my 880's from headroom in mid january and they also came with the straight cable, I honestly don't know why anyone would want coiled. I also agree that 3m is too long for the standard headphone cable, 2m would be fine for me.

Apr 29, 2005 at 8:32 PM Post #21 of 23
You know what's more annoying? People complaining about a cable being too long.
wink.gif

It's interesting that they still include the extension. I thought it was only for the coiled cable haters (I'm more neutral to coiled cables, although prefer straight). Actually gave my extension to my bro.

I think it's worth mentioning how thick the DT 880 straight cable is - it is extremely durable, yet very flexible. I have a problem with excessive humidity in my house, and all other headphone cables have coiled and tangled due to the moisture, even my coiled cable phones, but my DT 880 cable is as good as it was straight out of the box.

I'm too scared to run my DT 880s straight out of my PCDP...

Apr 30, 2005 at 7:25 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by pedxing
Also, an amp that is pushed close to its limit is more likely to damage the drivers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Yeah.. as with any amp/speaker combo, avoid driving it into clipping and you should be OK.

Hi

Would I be mistaken to think that driving the amplifier to clipping only poses a danger to two- or more way speaker systems, because the tweeters may not be able to handle the excessive high-frequency energy generated by the clipping (whereas the woofers and mid-range drivers can handle more power)? And therefore this should not affect the simple single-driver systems, including most headphones?

Cheers

Apr 30, 2005 at 8:31 PM Post #23 of 23
Someone in the iPod know recently told me that the iPod has its sound output limited to below clipping volumes. Apparently, it can't go that high on its own amp. Is this true? Anyone know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back