One gene makes earwax wet or dry
Feb 1, 2006 at 7:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

allenf

1000+ Head-Fier
Continuing the trend of posting hearing related links of interest to fellow Head-Fiers from the BBC website:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4661366.stm
Pass the Etys
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2006 at 7:54 AM Post #5 of 13
wow... Scientiest have nothing else to research about...

lol, just yesterday one of my colleges commented that they think that audiologists can benefit from this research (Which probly took them 10 years, and millions of dollars in order to complete). Yes, a large amount of "wet" earwax might become a health concern, but I don't see that ever happening... Think about it.. You gotta have a TRUCK load of earwax and sleep/bathe in cow crap to have it destroy your ears.

They should stop researching this stuff and find out a way to make Ultimate Ears UE10 Pro better
eggosmile.gif

Waste of tax money :p But really cool story to read though. Kudo's in informing everyone.

Feb 1, 2006 at 8:09 AM Post #6 of 13
WOW thats interesting. I remember when my son was in the womb we had his DNA analyzed and they could tell if he was going to have 11 toes, certain types of retardation, eye color, hair color..etc... The counselor had these charts with all the chromosomes laid out. It was like looking through a catalog of human genes... OK heres Downs syndrome, heres the extra toe gene, heres the extra thumb... It was really interesting.

Garrett

Feb 1, 2006 at 10:49 AM Post #8 of 13
I wonder which scientists decided to study the earwax gene and if they are the same type of people who like to focus their research efforts on such important issues as making watermelons seedless.

Feb 1, 2006 at 10:56 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nova442
I wonder which scientists decided to study the earwax gene and if they are the same type of people who like to focus their research efforts on such important issues as making watermelons seedless.

or worse...ones who try to make them square...or glow in the dark...

Feb 1, 2006 at 11:11 AM Post #11 of 13
I always read these "single gene control blah blah" headlines with a grain of salt. Usually in the end, they find like fifty other genes controlling or contributing to the trait in question.

Feb 1, 2006 at 11:44 AM Post #12 of 13
I have seen research that suggests that high blood cholesterol levels make earwax wetter.
This could be useful for testing provided a baseline could be provided per individual, taking into account activities likely to "wet the wax".
I need a research grant
tongue.gif

Feb 1, 2006 at 12:56 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by allenf
I have seen research that suggests that high blood cholesterol levels make earwax wetter.

Well, speaking from my own personal perspective (and control group of one) this is definitely not the case. I suffer from "inhereted elevated cholesterol" and have always had totally dry earwax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back