One evaluation disc for comparisons
Mar 30, 2010 at 7:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

audiorapture

100+ Head-Fier
This morning I thought wouldn't it be better to have people agree on a particular disc to play for all comparisons so everyone with different amps and headphones can at least know what they mean when referring to a specific song? And our new reference disc from Mr. Chesky would be great. Is there any way this idea might be adapted? What do you think? Thanks in advance...

Mar 30, 2010 at 9:51 AM Post #2 of 3
I don't think it would. On a practical level, I get the impression the favourite genres on head-fi are prog rock and metal, which are both very different from that (or AFAIK any similar) disc; someone interested in how gear performs for their own genre will quite reasonably gravitate to that for their tests. Whether the equipment excels on Chesky wind chimes is beside the point.

More whimsically, I like to read people's descriptions of how music that's unfamiliar to me sounds. It can help convey what they see in it, and give me ideas of what I might like to try.

Mar 30, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #3 of 3
good point. I wonder what the percentage really is of who on this site listens to what type music. I hope there is a poll somewhere, I'd like to know. And wasn't there also a poll about the age catagory of most members?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back