One DAC to Two Amps - Possible?
Apr 27, 2011 at 10:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

nyjets28

1000+ Head-Fier
I've seen some setups in the rigs thread and I was just wondering if it's possible to have two amps connected to one DAC. if so, what function does the DAC need to have in order to do this? what are some examples of DACs that are capable of this?

just wondering as I was considering possibly getting a tube amp to compliment my gilmore lite and for the possibility of balanced setups in the future (The distant future haha).

I may just take this time to upgrade my DAC just so that its all ready to go if i ever decide to go with this 2 amp setup.

thanks!

Apr 27, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #2 of 10
Some DACs have both balanced XLR and single-ended RCA outputs. E.g. Yulong D100.

Others may have multiple single-ended RCA or 3.5mm outputs (e.g. AMB gamma2). Sometimes these RCA outputs actually carry differently processed signals (e.g. Maverick D1, where one pair of RCA outs is tube-based). But mostly the multiple outputs on DACs are wired in parallel. You can get the same result by using a pair of Y-split adapters like this:

More aesthetically pleasing versions exist.

Some amps have loop out RCA jacks. You can use those to connect to another amp. It is the same as putting RCA Y-split adapters on the amp.

Apr 28, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #4 of 10
I use the Meier StageDAC, which has two sets of RCA outputs.  One is fixed, meaning you would adjust volume on the connected power amplifier.  The other is variable, and is adjustable via the StageDAC volume control.  

The StageDAC also has multiple inputs, so it can act as a pretty good switcher.  You can have multiple sources connected upstream, and multiple amps connected downstream.  

Apr 28, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
With the rca splitters you loose -3db of signal each time the signal is split, with a dac with 2x rca out there is no signal loss.

Is this the fact because the amplitude is halved?

Apr 28, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #9 of 10
Hm..I just drawed a sketch and actually the voltage would be the same and the current is halved and therefore the output impedance when I think right..

..and to go even further also the output power would be less ..

It is not so easy actually :)

You have a signal loss of -3dB by each splitting in the field of antennas etc. . This has sth to do with the resistance of 50 Ohm of the cable.
When using a splitter in audio it actually depends on the input resistance of the equipment whose is connected to. So in easy words it is that a high input resistance doesnt matter (when the output resistance of the source is low), whereas a low input resistance will reduce the level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back