One companies relative sales of hard disk based MP3 players
Apr 14, 2005 at 4:14 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigDub
i hope that is not representative of the world's hd mp3 players sales.
biggrin.gif

anyhow, in singapore, creative mp3 players probably outnumber the ipod or any other brands for that matter, by 4-1 i estimate. when i'm on a train, the number of people i see wearing creative earbuds compared to non-creative ones are ridiculous. ipod buds would probably come in second, followed by the taiwan mp3 players.
cool.gif

That's because Creative is a Singapore company! So people are naturally more inclined to support them. That and the government encourages the support for local companies.
eek.gif

Apr 14, 2005 at 4:18 AM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by notnormal
That's because Creative is a Singapore company! So people are naturally more inclined to support them. That and the government encourages the support for local companies.
eek.gif

the government does not support creative, or not that i know of.
biggrin.gif
but being a singapore company probably means having a higher sales volume.
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2005 at 5:29 AM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by JWFokker
I thought we already knew Apple owned 80% of the DAP market since last year. Is this new news?

64%
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

That's because Creative is a Singapore company! So people are naturally more inclined to support them. That and the government encourages the support for local companies

Like I support iRiver
icon10.gif

Apr 14, 2005 at 5:34 AM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigDub
the government does not support creative, or not that i know of.
biggrin.gif
but being a singapore company probably means having a higher sales volume.
biggrin.gif

To clarify, I meant that the government ask the citizens, to support their local companies. It's the same way that the government ask the citizens to support their local film and tv shows. *Under One Roof* comes to mind.

Apr 14, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #20 of 28
During the just concluded quarter over 5,311,000 iPod digital music players shipped, accounting for over $1B in revenue. This is a 558% increase in shipments from the year-ago quarter. In February, an NPD metric rated this company #1 in the MP3/Music player business, with a 70% share. They have 90% share of the HDD-based players, and a 43% share of the flash-based player market. This figure is astounding considering that before February they had no share of the flash market.

Apr 14, 2005 at 8:10 PM Post #21 of 28
MarketWatch

"However, some analysts expected iPod sales of as much as $1.3 billion. Several analysts said iPod revenue was affected by the introduction of the iPod shuffle, which starts at $99. Analysts estimated that Apple sold more than 2 million iPod shuffles in quarter."

Apr 16, 2005 at 1:34 AM Post #22 of 28
I decided on a Creative Zen Micro. Would not trade it for anything. I hope Apple sells a ton of everything they make; I just want the Micro to be popular enough so that service and accessories stay available for a long time.

Apr 17, 2005 at 1:46 AM Post #23 of 28
Man, I knew Apple dominated, but those numbers are just sick! The folks at Apple have really captivated this market...their R&D and Marketing is a glittering, stellar example of how to get it done. I'm thinking Apple would be a pretty sweet place to pursue a career path right now...you could really learn a ton there.

Having a high-profile name out there like Apple leading the pack in this market really benefits us all as dap buyers...it gives all of the other companies a target to shoot at & forces them to innovate & be price competitive...and in turn, forces Apple to do creative things to stay out front. In the end, we get a delicious assortment of daps from which to choose...from a good number of decent companies. Hey, that's definitely good for all of us.

I can't wait to see what the future holds for us in the dap market.

Peace,

Graz

Apr 17, 2005 at 9:12 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by PrototypeX2
64%
rolleyes.gif

Nitpicking. They sell multiple times more than their competitors. Creative is in a very distant second place with a small FRACTION of the market. I'm not bashing Creative, because I think they have the best players currently (Zen Touch in particular), but whether Apple owns 2/3 or 3/4 of the market doesn't make much difference.

I hope you realized I pulled that 80% statistic right out of my ass. I was making the point that Apple owns the majority of the DAP market.

Apr 18, 2005 at 12:26 AM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graz
Man, I knew Apple dominated, but those numbers are just sick! The folks at Apple have really captivated this market...their R&D and Marketing is a glittering, stellar example of how to get it done. I'm thinking Apple would be a pretty sweet place to pursue a career path right now...you could really learn a ton there.

Having a high-profile name out there like Apple leading the pack in this market really benefits us all as dap buyers...it gives all of the other companies a target to shoot at & forces them to innovate & be price competitive...and in turn, forces Apple to do creative things to stay out front. In the end, we get a delicious assortment of daps from which to choose...from a good number of decent companies. Hey, that's definitely good for all of us.

I can't wait to see what the future holds for us in the dap market.

Peace,

Graz

I think it would be more productive if apple had a more even share, if everyone had a fairly even share in the market, ALL companies making DAP's would need to show nothing but the best in their poducts, or they will fall behind. If a company like apple dominates so much there will be a large number of "copy-cats" instead of companies actually trying to beat/compete with them. But if its even, all companies will be forced to do well or die. At this point its very easy to say "Apple already has the market cornered, there is no point in competing with such momentum and dominance". Does anyone have the figures from last year? I think i remember seeing that apple had somewhere around 85% of the market
blink.gif
around a year ago. Its nice to see that some companies are starting to make at least a dent in white shell of Apple. Hopefully this will encourage Apple to start selling ipods that have better batteries (removable, and longer) and have more features (FM would be REALLY nice). So far they have software, UI, marketing, third party accessories, and style nailed down. Now they just need some more feature laiden DAP's for those of us that dont want to spend the extra 50 bucks on a small white fm radio accessory, and battery pack.

Apr 18, 2005 at 12:36 AM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by JWFokker
Nitpicking. They sell multiple times more than their competitors. Creative is in a very distant second place with a small FRACTION of the market. I'm not bashing Creative, because I think they have the best players currently (Zen Touch in particular), but whether Apple owns 2/3 or 3/4 of the market doesn't make much difference.

I hope you realized I pulled that 80% statistic right out of my ass. I was making the point that Apple owns the majority of the DAP market.

I can assure you that I've known that for a while.
I picked the number from TIME magazine i had read a few months ago. And numbers DO make a difference.

Apr 18, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by PrototypeX2
I can assure you that I've known that for a while.
I picked the number from TIME magazine i had read a few months ago. And numbers DO make a difference.

Yes they do...if your running a company. You arn't, he was just making the point that Apple is dominating, you can say 64% and he can say 80%. The point is that at the end of the day, it doesnt matter to joe average because that 16% is a just small difference showing that Apple is still dominating. If he said 80% and it was actually 35% then you can have your argument, right now this is pointless.

Apr 18, 2005 at 1:09 AM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclone
Yes they do...if your running a company. You arn't, he was just making the point that Apple is dominating, you can say 64% and he can say 80%. The point is that at the end of the day, it doesnt matter to joe average because that 16% is a just small difference showing that Apple is still dominating. If he said 80% and it was actually 35% then you can have your argument, right now this is pointless.

I know, and my only point of it was to correct his numbers, not to flame or troll.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back