One channel stopped working on cambridge audio A1
Nov 16, 2011 at 2:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

rogan

Head-Fier
got a cambridge audio A1 amp off ebay a few months back, its only a year or so old from band new and the right hand channel wont output anything to speakers, 

both channels in my headphones work out the headphone jack

i tried both speakers in the right hand channel and neither gave any form of static or feedback or obviously sound, 

doesnt work with any of my input cables, or on any of the channels

the volume knob turns for left and right independantly and turning right up to max just turns the left hand on faintly still outputting nothing through the right

is it just dead?

Nov 19, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #2 of 3
Hard to say for sure. Pop the lid of the amp and check the fuses, there are 3 of them that I can see if it's the Integrated version (make sure you've had the amp unplugged for a while before doing this).

It could be something as simple as a blown fuse or something as serious as a blown output transistor. If you cannot see anything out of the ordinary (like a blown fuse) or burned resistor(s), cap leaking etc then take it to a tech and tell him the R channel is not functional at the speaker outputs but does work with the headphone out. That tells me the problem isn't too serious but may require a tech (if the fuses check out). A good tech should be able to repair it fairly quickly and depending on what is wrong for a fairly low sum of money.

Good luck.

Peete.

Nov 20, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #3 of 3
cheers for the reply, 

i opened it up and cant see anything burnt or 'looks' broken
replaced all the fuses to be on the safe side, no improvement

the fact the channels dead totally silent, leads me to believe its not just 'blown' so im a little confused where to go from here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back