One channel ER4 / E5C ???
Sep 28, 2004 at 1:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

knestle

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I couldn't think of a proper title for this post.

I'm deaf in one ear (an infection a few years ago), so two channel headphones are a waste for me.

With the current cheapie earbuds I'm using, I just clipped off the left cord.

I was thinking of buying some better quality earbuds (for higher quality mono sound) and butchering them the same way.

Then I remembered that I saw a post somewhere on here a few days ago, someone mentioned that one channel of his headphones had died.

Now I'm wondering, is there someone out there with some high quality earbuds, with one dead channel?

Maybe we could strike a deal.

Ken

Sep 28, 2004 at 3:17 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolt San
I have a pair of Koss KSC-35s with only one side working... >_>

Lifetime Warranty is great!

Just send in the KSC-35 w/$6 and boom! A week later they come back!

Sep 28, 2004 at 3:18 AM Post #4 of 10
Yeah, but people here say they send back KSC-50s for some reason.
I'm waiting to see right now, some guy just sent his 35s in and if he gets 75s or 35s, I'm gonna RMA them.

Sep 28, 2004 at 4:30 AM Post #5 of 10
Very sorry to hear about your hearing loss
frown.gif

I cannot think of any specific solutions for your specific situation, but would like to add that you should be very careful with selecting earbuds if you would like to have only one for the remaining ear -- as you must know, hearing preservation is VERY important, and with these canalphones, volume levels can easily reach dangerous levels, especially with the Shure E5s. Be careful!!

Sep 28, 2004 at 5:00 AM Post #6 of 10
they definitely send back 50s; i've RMAed 35s. if you speak to a supervisor, you can prob get them to send you 35s, but they'll only do it once. they make a big stink and make sure you know that next time you're stuck with 50s. supposedly. this is the experience i had with them. i had to argue with a supervisor for 10 minutes until she finally relented and admitted they do have 35s available to send me. but only just this once. criminal, if you ask me.

Sep 28, 2004 at 2:14 PM Post #7 of 10
That sucks.
However, they didn't have 75s when you RMA'd, did you?
Now that they have that new product, I don't think I'd mind getting those instead, but I'm waiting since someone else is RMAing his right now.

Sep 28, 2004 at 6:38 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
Very sorry to hear about your hearing loss
frown.gif

be very careful with selecting earbuds if you would like to have only one for the remaining ear -- as you must know, hearing preservation is VERY important, and with these canalphones, volume levels can easily reach dangerous levels

I still have two ears, just one functional.
biggrin.gif

At age 62 you kind of anticipate losing some functions. Everything really important is still working.

The main reason for wanting canal style earbuds is to LOWER the volume.
With open-air headphones or ear buds the noise level in my company van is so high that I have to turn up the volume to what I consider dangerous levels.
I'm thinking that with the almost total isolation of canal ear buds, Ill be able to operate at a much lower volume level.

Make sense?

Have fun

Ken

Sep 28, 2004 at 8:44 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by doni
they definitely send back 50s; i've RMAed 35s. if you speak to a supervisor, you can prob get them to send you 35s, but they'll only do it once. they make a big stink and make sure you know that next time you're stuck with 50s. supposedly. this is the experience i had with them. i had to argue with a supervisor for 10 minutes until she finally relented and admitted they do have 35s available to send me. but only just this once. criminal, if you ask me.

[slowly puts his KSC-35's in super strong case]

Sep 28, 2004 at 8:59 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by knestle
I still have two ears, just one functional.
biggrin.gif

At age 62 you kind of anticipate losing some functions. Everything really important is still working.

The main reason for wanting canal style earbuds is to LOWER the volume.
With open-air headphones or ear buds the noise level in my company van is so high that I have to turn up the volume to what I consider dangerous levels.
I'm thinking that with the almost total isolation of canal ear buds, Ill be able to operate at a much lower volume level.

Make sense?

Have fun

Ken

Yes, I understand -- you misunderstood my point. As has been discussed before here on Head-Fi, certain canalphones are more accomodating in terms of hearing preservation than others. Please feel free to read what people said here for a better idea of what I am talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back