One amp to drive them all
Dec 29, 2008 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

pyramid6

100+ Head-Fier
What's the cheapest amp to drive any headphones? I know some amps sound better with some headphones, but I want one amp that can drive any headphones I get [not including elctrostatic, etc.].

If you need a price say $200.

What's your desert island tube amp for around $1000-1500? Again that can drive any headphones.

Dec 29, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #2 of 6
I'd recommend the Eddie Current Lunchbox, it'll do a good job. Mind you, many headphones are going to need a much better amplifier to unleash their true potential. The K1000 obviously comes to mind, among others.

My desert island tube amp for $1000-$1500? Zana Deux. I know thats pushing $1500, but hypothetically someone could sell a used one for around there. SP Extreme would also be good. One of the higher end Woo amps might also fit in there.

Dec 29, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What's SP, or more probably who is SP?

By higher end Woo, do you mean WA-2 or WA-6 SE, or something like the WA-5?

I basiclly want one a cheap amp now, and a good amp in a few months. I plan to pick up a couple of headphones before I get a good amp.

The lunchbox sounds good, and it a tube amp which is a bonus.

Thanks

Dec 29, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #4 of 6
sp is singlepower if you look in this section of the forum (headphone apmps) a few posts up you will find a thread discusing singlepower amps and thier builder Mikhail.

Dec 29, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks, I finally figured it out. The Zana Duex looks like a nice amp. A little more than I want to spend.

I was kind of thinking the WA-3 or WA-3+ as a first amp. It looks like it drive most headphones. Then I wouldn't need/want another amp in a few months.

Dec 29, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #6 of 6
Yeah, the Woo is one of few american made tube amps that can be bought for under $500. It's a safe bet, popular, well made, and attractive with plenty of tube rolling options. I would get it, if you want tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back