One 556 ohm speaker in a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 600 ohm?
Sep 13, 2015 at 5:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

KennyStarr

New Head-Fier
Hi
One of the speakers in my Beyerdynamic DT770 Edition 600 ohm broke after 4 years of gentle use. Still not sure why that happend. When I soldered the wires of it, one of the terminals fell of, so I don't know if it had a bad connection in that place.

I bought a new replacement driver from an authorized dealer. Because I only got it in a bubble wrap bag without any indication of type number, once I came home, I checked the impedance of the new driver. To my surprise, it was only 557 ohm. I don't have a picture of it, but with the rectifiers soldered on and measured through the plug, the impedance was 565 ohm.

The original measures 594 ohm, which is closer to the specified 600 ohm of the headphone.

To be honest, after doing a quick listen, I don't think there is an audioble difference, so if you guys don't think it has a defect, I will just be keeping it like it is. After all, it is only 5% deviation I'm just qurious for your comments.

Sep 16, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #2 of 3
Ok, now I was able to do a proper A/B test with another pair of headphones, and they sound horrible after installing the new speaker. The treble is fine, but the bas is not present and the mids sound out of phase.

Anyone knows if Beyer changed the position of the + and - terminals or is it just a burn in issue?

Sep 19, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #3 of 3
After 4 hours of burn in, they still sounded horrible. So I had to take them apart and change the polarity of the connection. That did the trick. They are back to sounding great again!

Is this on? [taps microphone]

Cue crickets!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back