one 48inch 1080i monitor VS two 22 in LCD's LATENCY/BEST for audio
Nov 15, 2009 at 5:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

bigpapajk

New Head-Fier
i am using a mac pro with quad core 3.67 ghz and 6G ram. I currently am using 2 22 inch monitors side by side connected via DVI..I would prefer to have just one bigger monitory and want to use my hitachi 1080i hd 48 inch instead. 2 questions
1. Is it easier on my cpu to have this one big monitor or the two
2. Will i need a special graphics card to use the 48 inch(suggestions greatly appreciated) ......As far as the graphics card goes...
a. i am using this for audio(pro tools). WHAT IS THE BEST CARD/WAY TO DO THIS TO NOT TAX MY CPU AND GET GREAT RESOLUTION?
b. what is the best way to connect to my tv?..HDMI?

Nov 15, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #2 of 8
Probably a better question for Gear-Fi...

I'd stick with two monitors, after all, you do have two eyes. What you really need to focus on is reducing crosstalk, you'd be better off with a monoblock computer per screen. And then a third, independent computer to handle audio.

Nov 15, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daveze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably a better question for Gear-Fi...

I'd stick with two monitors, after all, you do have two eyes. What you really need to focus on is reducing crosstalk, you'd be better off with a monoblock computer per screen. And then a third, independent computer to handle audio.

your audio computer should run off lead-acid battery, much lower audiable noise, blacker background and more precise imaging.
confused_face_2.gif

You meant you have a stereo monitor system? SO Cool! I KNEW Mac will come up with something like that just to put us clumsy Windows7 PC users to shame
redface.gif

To reduce visual cross talk, you can try putting a book in front of your nose to make sure one eye only sees one screen.

Nov 15, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpapajk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2 questions

I see 4.

Also most of what you're asking is all based on preference. Personally I'd go with the 2 near-field monitors.

Nov 15, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emooze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see 4.

Also most of what you're asking is all based on preference. Personally I'd go with the 2 near-field monitors.

I see what you did there.

Maybe OP is trollan. Maybe OP doesn't have a clue how computers work (Mac?). In any case, get multiple 24/27" monitors @ 1920x1600. You get pixels and size.

Quote:

2. Will i need a special graphics card to use the 48 inch(suggestions greatly appreciated) ......As far as the graphics card goes...

Macs just work.

Just.

That is to say, it depends on how many DVI outputs you have. If you don't have enough...

To be honest, I have no idea what to make of this thread, and why it's even in DIY.

Nov 15, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #7 of 8
Why would you worry about the latency of a monitor when it comes to audio? Unless you're gaming and are able to detect <10ms lag times with your eyes, it shouldn't be an issue. If so, there are plenty of better forums to discuss computer monitor performance.

The video card in the Mac Pro should handle a 48" monitor just fine. Your CPU shouldn't be doing really any of the video rendering (as far as monitor display goes) so you will not see any difference between 1 or 2 monitors - it should all be handled by the GPU.

The Mac Pro has plenty of power to run Pro Tools. You should not need any additional power, and there are no "cards" that will make that program run better (it's entirely CPU dependent).

The best way to connect to your TV is to use whatever input your TV has. DVI or HDMI is fine, there won't be any real difference.

What WILL actually make a difference for audio on a Mac Pro is using an external DAC rather than the one built into the computer, such as a Bantam, Gamma1/2, etc.

Nov 15, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #8 of 8
Try to connect your Mac to your 48" with the highest level connections you have. The grain or pixels can be a problem on a very big screen, but I've heard that by using lower level inputs you can alleviate the problem.
Just try not to spend too much while experimenting, K?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back