Once more: MS1 vs. MS1i?
Nov 19, 2009 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sjino

100+ Head-Fier
There have been lots of people asking about the differences between these two, but no definitive answers that I've seen. (Mostly people point out the slightly larger cups in the i version, which "theoretically should equate to better soundstage," but I haven't seen a head to head comparison from someone who has both cans.)

Can someone please put this question to rest once and for all? Particularly, how do soundstage, overall SQ, sibilance, bass response etc. compare? Since both MS1 and MS1i are available, there's no point in buying the 'i' if it isn't truly an improvement.

Thanks in advance.

Nov 19, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #3 of 9
You're right, there's no point in buying the i in terms of sonic differences. You're only buying it for the different cup design. The MS-1i, unlike the other improved Grados do not have the new 8 conductor cable. My theory is that Grado stopped producing the old cups and switched to the new mushroom cups. The cups themselves have indentations where they attach/glue the "logo ring." Hence, the same cup is shared amongst the MS-1, and SR-60 thru SR-225, just interchangeable rings. I'm sure the "i" was used as a means of product differentiation. Arguably the same thing occured with the MS-2->MS-2i in which it switched cup designs as well from cylindrical to mushroom

Bottom line, if you like the old design, buy the old one. If you dig the mushroom style, go for that one (and the peace and mind that you're getting the latest version). Sonic differences if any are next to negligible at this level of headphone comparisons.

Nov 20, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #4 of 9
Actually, the MS1i is NOT being sold anymore.

Only 1/4 plug and 1/8 plug (w/ adapter).
frown.gif

Nov 20, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #6 of 9
Ive onwed both 4 months apart so take my opinion with that into consideration, I didnt feel there really any difference in sound also the MS1is didnt improve much with amping just like the MS1s I had, Now the SR60is I had sounded much better amped than any of them.

Nov 23, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #9 of 9
Thank you for the replies, all. Thanks especially to Xan for the detailed explanation about the cups. It's nice to finally have a definitive answer.

Personally, I don't think the larger cups look better and they might even weigh slightly more, so if the MS1 i don't have the improved cable I don't see a compelling reason to spend the extra $10. I'd probably be better served putting that $10 towards bowl pads.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back