Once and for all, Shure E4c or Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro?
Sep 20, 2005 at 10:57 AM Post #31 of 35
Quote:

If you're going to use one of these IEMs exclusively for commuting (noisy stations, busses, trains, subways) it needs to block out a ton of noise. Which of the IEMs would you recommend for such an environment (assuming a good portable rig such as the one in my sig)?

E4c with foam tips give me the isolation I need. In crowded opened enviroment (stations etc.) and on trains I really can hear nothing else than music.
On car, but with a speed faster than 140 Km/h, the isolation is not perfect and expecially the low frequencies noises starts to be heard...

Sep 20, 2005 at 12:36 PM Post #33 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by w1ned
Comfort wise how do they compare?
Also, for rock using ipod mini -> MINT amp -> iems, e4 or super.fi?

Both comfortable IMO, but the sf5p sticks out a bit more because it rests at the entrance to the ear canal rather than inside the canal. To me, the E4 gets the slight edge because it does not stick out, but I sometimes like the sf5pro because it's less intrusive. So basically, a tie.

As for your rig, I'd just go with the sf5p straight out of the mini.

Sep 20, 2005 at 12:37 PM Post #34 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkless
If you're going to use one of these IEMs exclusively for commuting (noisy stations, busses, trains, subways) it needs to block out a ton of noise. Which of the IEMs would you recommend for such an environment (assuming a good portable rig such as the one in my sig)?

Generally, I've found that the E4 isolates better than the sf5p for reasons likely associated with how deep they go into the ear canal (see post above). Also, my wife has confirmed that she can hear some leakage from the sf5pro and none from the E4.

Sep 20, 2005 at 4:24 PM Post #35 of 35
I haven't tried the superfi 5 pro yet, but the E4s have a great build quality where the material and finish are exemplary in its price range. The aluminium ring around the casing is not only a nice aesthetic touch, but enhances the structural rigidity. As for the casing body it's a marvel 1 piece injection with rubber foam to enclose the capsule entirely thus enhancing the finish and assembly. Of course the wiring and cabling are very strong and thicker to really ensure the build quality aspect.

For the sound, I never had problem with lack of bass. Rather it's tighter and faster bass than some headphones I've owned in the past. The E4s are very well balance in-ear-monitor where these canalphones don't overemphasize one spectrum of sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back