Once and for all, Shure E4c or Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro?
Sep 7, 2005 at 10:10 PM Post #16 of 35
I have an iRiver H320 as the sound source. How would that compare with the iPod and which buds to use?

Currently I own a pair of E2c's and use them with the iRiver and I am very satisfied, but I always get the impression that they are lacking something. I just don't know what yet, as the E2c's are the best ones I've heard.

I'm leaning towards buying the Shure E4c's but seeing as the general recommendation for iPods are the Superfi's, what do you guys think? And oh, I use the Rock EQ on the iRiver to get more bass. I also listen almost exclusively to Prog rock, prog metal and metal.

Sep 7, 2005 at 10:23 PM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inter
I have an iRiver H320 as the sound source. How would that compare with the iPod and which buds to use?

Currently I own a pair of E2c's and use them with the iRiver and I am very satisfied, but I always get the impression that they are lacking something. I just don't know what yet, as the E2c's are the best ones I've heard.

I'm leaning towards buying the Shure E4c's but seeing as the general recommendation for iPods are the Superfi's, what do you guys think? And oh, I use the Rock EQ on the iRiver to get more bass. I also listen almost exclusively to Prog rock, prog metal and metal.

Again this isn't rocket science here. For rock E4s aren't going to be the best choice. I would go with the Superif's or the UM2s. The E4 is for detail listening and doesn't have as much bass and needs an amp more then other two I listed. Rock generally doesn't have as much detail and musical headphone works best.. (Grado for full size) UE pros for canal or E5s or UM2s.

Sep 7, 2005 at 10:28 PM Post #18 of 35
Once and for all.. if this was only true.. once every few days is more like it..

Sep 7, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
Again this isn't rocket science here. For rock E4s aren't going to be the best choice. I would go with the Superif's or the UM2s. The E4 is for detail listening and doesn't have as much bass and needs an amp more then other two I listed. Rock generally doesn't have as much detail and musical headphone works best.. (Grado for full size) UE pros for canal or E5s or UM2s.

Ah, but you see, I'm not talking about rock.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm talking about prog rock, which pretty much have so much going on in the soundstage at any one time, I have yet to hear anything that can even remotely convey it all. What I need is details, details and more details, as that's what prog is. I'm not overly concerned about bass, as long as the buds play it as it was intended to sound in the mix of the album. Also, I can't afford the e5c's at the moment. But if the UM2's are a better choice (and in the same price range?) I'll have a look. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 7, 2005 at 10:50 PM Post #20 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
Again this isn't rocket science here. For rock E4s aren't going to be the best choice. I would go with the Superif's or the UM2s. The E4 is for detail listening and doesn't have as much bass and needs an amp more then other two I listed. Rock generally doesn't have as much detail and musical headhead works best.. (Grado)

Have to disagree with you there. I listen pretty much exclusivly to rock and prefer the e4's by a good margin over the super.fi's and the um2's. I can't say 100% that they are best for you, Inter, but the answer is certainly not 'obviously the 5pro or um2'. But, Inter, the e4's are a huge improvement over the e2's. They will convey Much more detail than the e2c's. They won't have more bass, but the bass is much more accurate, and you will be able to eq it to your liking with the iriver (they dont have the bass rolloff problem of the ipods). I think the e4's sound like just what you are looking for.

I find it very interesting that people are saying the e4's are not good for rock because they are 'brighter' and 'detailed'. By all accounts, Grado's are brighter and detailed headphones - and they are the standard rock headphone. [since when are grado's not detailed, btw?] And senn's, with their 'senheiser veil', are said to be better for acoustic and such. So now all of a sudden, 'veiled' canalphones are for rock? That doesn't seem to make sense to me.

I'm not meaning this as an attack on you at all, chrisfromalbany, but that sentiment is becoming more common here and it doesn't make much sense, in my opinion.

Sep 7, 2005 at 10:55 PM Post #21 of 35
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I know the E4's will probably be alot better than the E2's which is pretty much my reason for buying them. That there isn't more bass, is not really something I am concerned about.

Thanks!

Sep 8, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by latecomer
sno1man, just to clarify:

In your first line, "ipod" refers to minis, and 3rd gen, 4th gen etc, and that these match the superfi pros better?

In the next line you're saying that the shuffle is better matched with the shure e4?

i own a shuffle, and am leaning towards the superfi5pros cause of the bass (i find the shuffle rather bass light) and the soundstaging...

please advise.

generally speaking, the shure e 4 sounds better than the super fi when connected to my shuffle or my rio carbon- the super fi's have too much bass

When the source is my ipod photo or my ipod mini, the sound is better with the super fi's- the shure e4cs' sound bass deificient

one persons opinion from someone who owns both

Sep 20, 2005 at 6:15 AM Post #24 of 35
Thanks for the information and I guess I don't have any regrets with my E4's. THe only thing that I don't like is that it's not true black. It's more of a silvery black colour if such description even exist.

Sep 20, 2005 at 6:26 AM Post #25 of 35
If you're listening to stuff like Dream Theater, I'd say the E4 might be the better choice. It'll capture more of the detail and keep instruments seperated better than the SF5Ps will. If you could swing the E5, it may be the best of both worlds (solid bass with good detail), but it'll have a little bit of a treble roll off. I personally think the UM2's are a bit boring for that style of music, but everyone has their own opinion.

Sep 20, 2005 at 8:20 AM Post #26 of 35
Surely the iPod + E4 combo doesn't have explosive bass, but:
- if you listen jazz, classical, some pop and in general music in which the bass frequecies are not too crowded, E4 + iPod will make an excellent job
- if you listen rock, hard rock, prog-metal, and in general music in which the bass is buried into the mix (distorted guitars strongly contribute to this), E4 + iPod will encounter difficulties in resolving everything in the bass department

The listening of Prog-metal arises a real dilemma because in this kind of music both details and impact are important... So ask yourself what is more important to you...

Sep 20, 2005 at 8:49 AM Post #29 of 35
e4s for metal/prog metal/prog rock + acoustical = major thumbs up. out of a deeecent source the bass is astounding, reaching deep and staying tight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back