once again, crappy grado build quality...
Nov 9, 2001 at 1:45 AM Post #16 of 19
I have roomates with REALLY sensitive ears. So, leakage is definately an issue around here. FYI, Sennheiser 580s and Grado 325s leak a LOT. Have you considered closed headphones at all? I've considered for a long time the Beyerdynamic 831s (closed). Meier has them for $140 USD (GREAT price). You could also go with some Etys, which are a bit more expensive. Anyone else have good recommendations for closed headphones? Hope that helped
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2001 at 2:24 AM Post #17 of 19
You know Sirwar, you must admit though that the 325 has some damned sound quality...

with the proper pad's that fit your sound needs, I'd say they are the closest to being some of the best ways to listen to your music possible...

I admit I don't really like the build...
for the price especially

however...

I own the rs-2's now... the glue came off the wires in the hosing, I had to hot glue that back... and yes one plactic cap did come off, but all I did was just put a little dab of superglue, and no problem...

it looks, works, and sound exaxctly like what I like. Personally I don't care about the leaking of sound...

if it does bother you...
get something else... sell your cans off here or on ebay
and getsomething that you acctuality like, ad works best for you...

maybe beyer, akg, senheiser
something made commercially that has strong parts
and that sound good

Nov 9, 2001 at 7:26 AM Post #18 of 19
I love the sound. I use the flat "comfies" which I modded by sewing the cloth from my senn 495 pads over them. the bowls just sound too distance, imo.

but ya, they sound great....but for the diminishing returns of high-end audio, you should at least get a decently made product.

Nov 11, 2001 at 4:11 PM Post #19 of 19
I've had my Grado SR-80's for about a month now, and I can certainly see where you're coming from. I think the point of the matter, though, is that they aren't headphones in the sense that the stuff you find at any department store are headphones. That people have been able to fix their sets themselves is also pretty significant, and, IMO, says more to the quality of the build than the poorness of it.

I cringe to think if I were to ever toss my Grado's somewhere, but I've done that a million times before with other, cheaper sets. I think the fact that they are that much more delicate is almost a feature and not a problem.

As to the sound leakage, the volume level that you're playing them at certainly has a big impact on that. My take is that if someone can hear them in the next room, then either a) those walls are incredibly thin, or b) it probably would be a good idea to turn it down anyway, for the sake of your ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back