Once again another thread on suggestions
May 25, 2010 at 6:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Shanghaiman

New Head-Fier
Hi Everyone,

So I have been on this site for some time (around five months).  Just didn't bother signing up for an account.  Now it seems like the perfect time to sign-up and as I need an upgrade.  My current cans are akg k518DJ.  I really like the sound of these, but would like to invest more into this hobby.  I want the bass to be very prominent and has a wide soundstage.  My budget is around 100~200.  My main sources are: 30GB iPod Video (rockboxed with flac), and 80GB iPod Classic (ALAC).  I listen to around 40% hip-hop/rap, 40% hard rock/metal, 10% electro, 10% classic.  I will also buy an amp.  My choices for amps would primarily be ibassos since the are easy to buy in Shanghai.  The amps i am considering are: ibasso D2, ibasso T4, ibasso P3, Ibasso D10.  I would also like it if someone could point me the differences between these amps.

So I have also done my research and come up with this list:

Beyerdynamic dt-770 (will the amps be enough power and which ohms version would you recommend?)
Ultrasone 580 PRO or 780PRO (the 780 might be too expensive)
Ultrasone DJ1 or PRO version (anyone know the differences between the two)
Denon D-2000
Shure 750DJ (these have a lot of hype and I've heard they are amazing with everything.  How is the bass compared to the rest?)
Audio Technica M50 (low end of price range compared to the rest, but how do they stack up?)

Thank You reading my super long post and help would be greatly appreciated.

Side note: any head-fiers in shanghai? if any do you guys know where to get equipment in the city? i don't really trust taobao for expensive purchases.

May 25, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #2 of 9
I've been rocking an ibasso d2+ and ultrasone dj1 for a few months now and am very happy with the combo, source is a rockboxed 4g ipod.

My music tastes are similar to yours and the ultrasones handle everything i throw at them very well.

I haven't compared my setup to any of the other equipment on your list so this post not might be super-helpful in that regard. . .

Oh, and the ultrasone dj1 is a cosmetic variant of the hfi-580

May 25, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #3 of 9
Beyers 770's the 250ohm version could be good if you plan to buy a nice amp. They have a good bass for bassyheads. 
smile_phones.gif

May 26, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #4 of 9
Beyer DT770 80s have prominent bass, but you'd want a desktop amp. The M50s don't need one.

May 26, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
Beyer DT770 80s have prominent bass, but you'd want a desktop amp. The M50s don't need one.

So would any of the ibasso be enough to power the DT770 80 ohms?

Quote:
I've been rocking an ibasso d2+ and ultrasone dj1 for a few months now and am very happy with the combo, source is a rockboxed 4g ipod.

My music tastes are similar to yours and the ultrasones handle everything i throw at them very well.

I haven't compared my setup to any of the other equipment on your list so this post not might be super-helpful in that regard. . .

I really want to get the ultrasone because they look soo fine.  Also have you heard the dj1 pros? Are they any different to justify the more expensive price?

Thanks for everyone's quick responses

May 26, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #7 of 9

Quote:

So have you heard the dj1 pros? is the price difference justifiable?  I want to get the ultrasones because they are sooo fine.

Quote:

So would the ibasso be enough power to drive the 80 ohms? 

Thanks for the quick responses guys!

May 26, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #8 of 9

Quote:

I really want to get the ultrasone because they look soo fine.  Also have you heard the dj1 pros? Are they any different to justify the more expensive price?

I haven't heard the dj1-pro, although they reportedly sound very similar.

. . .and yes, they are good looking cans :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back