On the search for IEMs
Jun 28, 2014 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

TheRingbearer

New Head-Fier
Dear Head-fiers,
I know there are already many questions regarding buying IEMs and I also read many of them. However, I have still some questions which were not answered during my research here in the forum. Thus, I will start with a small summury of what knowledge I gathered and kindly ask you to correct me if I have understood something wrong. Then, I ask the questions that I could not answer during my research.

So let's start:
I want to buy good IEMs and my budget is around 500€. I listen to pop, rock, hip-hop, acoustic, seldomly classic and country. I've a few requirements: Detatchable cable, cable over the ear & iPhone cable (which mostly can be done by buying an additional cable as I want a detatchable cable anyway) and, of course, great sound. The iPhone 5 is the source (I do not want to carry around any portable amplifier).I like linear/pure sound, but small enhancement of bass is acceptable (but only small). I would prefer IEMs that can play the whole spectrum, so that also goes really deep.

I know, test listening is the best way, however, first I would like your opinion and, also, I would like to know if I overlooked some great IEM, which would fit my requirements.

So, there are a few IEMs that seem to be the general recommendation in this prize range:
- Weststone R4
- Ultimate Ears 900s
- Shure 535se (& ltd red)

So, my findings for these are:
Weststone R4: Best linearity of those 3 but does not play deep.
UE 900s: A bit V-shaped sound. Otherwise, go deep and high, quite linear. Heavy manufactoring problems which are expected to be addressed by the 900s blue connectors. However, really bad PR by selling old black-connectors in 900s boxes. (so you cannot know what you get, or need to wait until black connector edition is sold through)
Shure 535s: Mids emphazised, best separation of those 3. However, also does not go deep and have a roll-off on highs (if unmodified or not ltd red). (However, i do not want to change/mod a 500€ IEM.) LTD red is hard to get.

So, here are my questions:
1) Where can I try those IEMs? I am German and found mp4audio.de. Here I could try Weststone R4 and Shure 535se (but not ltd red). UE900s, I think I cannot try because only sold online by UE / Logitech.
2) I know there are some low end customs in around 500€ (UE 4Pro, jh5 pro). However, what I got is that they are not better than the IEMs above because they target live performers and have better isolation but worse sound. Only the more expensive versions (jh13 pro/uerm/ue 18pro) are better then the IEMs above. Is that right? Or are low end customs already better?

Thanks to everyone that takes the time to read this and more thanks to everbody that takes the time to reply.
David

Jun 29, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #2 of 3
Dear Head-fiers,
I know there are already many questions regarding buying IEMs and I also read many of them. However, I have still some questions which were not answered during my research here in the forum. Thus, I will start with a small summury of what knowledge I gathered and kindly ask you to correct me if I have understood something wrong. Then, I ask the questions that I could not answer during my research.

So let's start:

I want to buy good IEMs and my budget is around 500€. I listen to pop, rock, hip-hop, acoustic, seldomly classic and country. I've a few requirements: Detatchable cable, cable over the ear & iPhone cable (which mostly can be done by buying an additional cable as I want a detatchable cable anyway) and, of course, great sound. The iPhone 5 is the source (I do not want to carry around any portable amplifier).I like linear/pure sound, but small enhancement of bass is acceptable (but only small). I would prefer IEMs that can play the whole spectrum, so that also goes really deep.

I know, test listening is the best way, however, first I would like your opinion and, also, I would like to know if I overlooked some great IEM, which would fit my requirements.

So, there are a few IEMs that seem to be the general recommendation in this prize range:

- Weststone R4

- Ultimate Ears 900s

- Shure 535se (& ltd red)

So, my findings for these are:

Weststone R4: Best linearity of those 3 but does not play deep.

UE 900s: A bit V-shaped sound. Otherwise, go deep and high, quite linear. Heavy manufactoring problems which are expected to be addressed by the 900s blue connectors. However, really bad PR by selling old black-connectors in 900s boxes. (so you cannot know what you get, or need to wait until black connector edition is sold through)
Shure 535s: Mids emphazised, best separation of those 3. However, also does not go deep and have a roll-off on highs (if unmodified or not ltd red). (However, i do not want to change/mod a 500€ IEM.) LTD red is hard to get.

So, here are my questions:

1) Where can I try those IEMs? I am German and found mp4audio.de. Here I could try Weststone R4 and Shure 535se (but not ltd red). UE900s, I think I cannot try because only sold online by UE / Logitech.
2) I know there are some low end customs in around 500€ (UE 4Pro, jh5 pro). However, what I got is that they are not better than the IEMs above because they target live performers and have better isolation but worse sound. Only the more expensive versions (jh13 pro/uerm/ue 18pro) are better then the IEMs above. Is that right? Or are low end customs already better?

Thanks to everyone that takes the time to read this and more thanks to everbody that takes the time to reply.

David

Even the cheaper CIEMs perform quite nicely. In my opinion CIEMs sound better than universals. I guess that's the benefit of having all those extra drivers? And just because they target professionals that doesn't mean the average person can't love it. Ask anyone who owns a CIEM and they'll probably say it's one of the best sounding device they have ever heard with the best isolation and comfort.
Despite that you might not want to go with a CIEM because you live in German. It seems like you want CIEMs made in America and the problem with that is that you'll have to pay shipping, imports, ear impressions, and potential refits which might push you over the $500 limit.
As for the se535 LTD, it really isn't that hard to get if you don't mind importing it. Try checking amazon and you'll probably find it. Remember that the se535 LTD comes with the in-line controls/mic and the connectors are shaped different. They aren't as high quality as the regular cables.

Jun 29, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #3 of 3
Thank you for your help :)

I am not restricting myself to have american or UE/JH CIEMs. I just found them to be the only ones which are around 500€.
I am happy if you have any suggestions for CIEMs or IEMs that i should consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back