On the market for E3 or ER4P
Apr 16, 2004 at 11:43 PM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by razputin
first glance: the etys are soo small, but what a pain in my ears! The foamies do look huge so I tried only the triflags: they do hurt at the ends of the rubber and the seal just makes it worse. Without the tractive force of the seal they won't stay in...
---------------------------------------------
One problem though is still the pain: the rubber ends of the triflags just hurt (as they probably would fall out without the seal). Any advice from you experts?

The foamies are much smaller than they look. Roll them tight to compress then, then stick them in your ears. Hold them for a few secs, and they'll expand. They're more comfortable, especially in the beginning, than the tri-flanges. (Remember, your ears are going to have to adjust so don't over-do it! If they're irritated, give it a rest.) If you're still intimidated by the Ety foamies, get some of the Shure yellow foamies (they're slightly smaller and more comfy IMO) available on their website.

Congrats on the Etys! And, yeah, have to agree that I prefer the S sound, but the P's are perfect flying companions or other noisy situations and I much prefer the braided cable. Having the option is the best of both worlds.

Enjoy! And, please, be gentle on your ears....

Apr 17, 2004 at 12:02 AM Post #17 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by KF777

... I also remaster them using the ETY's in S mode as a reference. I adjust EQ and add slight reverb (blasphemous I know) to some artists (like Norah Jones) to add space. I don't like some of today's dry mixes on phones. I get all the bottom and top I need at lowered volume settings.. They are more sensitive as well .

I too listen to pretty much everything with the DSP effects(reverb, room effect, etc) turned on my Yamaha soundcard, and Sharp MD(dolby headphone) and use the EQ extensibly when there's too much brightness or the bass is recessed but then again I never considered myself an audiophile. I find the Etys repond very well to these "blasphemous" stuff compared to other headphones.
tongue.gif

Apr 18, 2004 at 5:14 PM Post #18 of 19
Allow time for your ears and etys to break in. After 1-2 weeks I realized that etys feel VERY comfortable (I use foamies).

The bass issue is speculative. IMO, the bass is there and very articulate, just not overpowering. While a basshead might find them lacking in the low frequencies, the clarity of etys make up for any bass deficiencies, IMO.

Enjoy your new new phones.

Apr 18, 2004 at 5:50 PM Post #19 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by wildeone
The foamies are much smaller than they look. Roll them tight to compress then, then stick them in your ears. Hold them for a few secs, and they'll expand. They're more comfortable, especially in the beginning, than the tri-flanges. (Remember, your ears are going to have to adjust so don't over-do it! If they're irritated, give it a rest.) If you're still intimidated by the Ety foamies, get some of the Shure yellow foamies (they're slightly smaller and more comfy IMO) available on their website.

Thanks for the hint! I tried the foamies and while it is more difficult to achieve a good seal with them: they are really gentle to my ears! You were right, one can squeeze them a lot :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildeone
Congrats on the Etys! And, yeah, have to agree that I prefer the S sound, but the P's are perfect flying companions or other noisy situations and I much prefer the braided cable. Having the option is the best of both worlds.

I found that out yesterday, while I was going by train: I liked the 4p better as well. Though I have to admit, I don't believe in the "bass noise through the bones" stuff people offered as an explanation. (There are so many kinds of trains and resonances...) The 4p is just louder, so I hear my music better when I'm sitting in the train :wink:

Right! Coming back to my initial concerns:

the braided cable is great! It seems quite durable to me (the etys have a kind of technical look, I don't have the feeling, I have to leave them at home, just to keep the safe :wink:), the microphonics is much less than I expected after the reviews I read: it's hardly there... I'm using the shirt clip, just to minimize the strain on the haedphones.
And others here have already pointed out: the bass is there and the sound is just amazing, so all people in the same position as I was before: go for the ety's, you won't regret it.
I'm sure, the e3 are great headphones as well, but I'm not missing anything with my ety's and have no complains so far - just amazing sound!

Thanks and sweet listening to all at head-fi!
a happy razputin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back