On the hunt for portable... anything
Mar 19, 2015 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

squee116

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

While I'm always expanding on my desktop headphone collection, I'm hoping to find some headphones for when I'm out for a walk or a hike.

I'd like for there to be little to medium isolation.  I'd like to be able to hear things going on around me while I'm listening to my music, like a car approaching from behind me, or the like.

I've found I prefer to have a slightly warm sound, and I'm not a bass head, but I like the bass to be present, controlled, and have impact.

It can be portable headphones, IEMs, or w/e.

I'd prefer to keep the price under $150.  

As an aside, I've tried earbuds, and found them to be generally uncomfortable over long periods of time, though that may have more to do with fit.

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #2 of 11
You can find used Sennheiser HD25-I-II's for around that price. They might isolate slightly more than you're after, but the sound is relatively warm and they provide a nice amount of bass whilst retaining clarity through the mids. They're also built like a truck and don't have to be babied, which is handy for a portable.

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #3 of 11
  You can find used Sennheiser HD25-I-II's for around that price. They might isolate slightly more than you're after, but the sound is relatively warm and they provide a nice amount of bass whilst retaining clarity through the mids. They're also built like a truck and don't have to be babied, which is handy for a portable.

I already have a pair of the HD25-I-II's, and the clamping force is a bit much for me.  You're right though, I do like the sound, and like how durable they are.

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #4 of 11
  I already have a pair of the HD25-I-II's, and the clamping force is a bit much for me.  You're right though, I do like the sound, and like how durable they are.

Have you tried stretching the headband? Pick something a bit larger than your head and leave them stretched over them for a day or two, should reduce the clamping force (and the isolation). I found the clamp a bit much when I first got mine too, but a combination of them stretching and my ears getting accustomed to it has made it hardly noticeable for hour-long listening sessions.

That being said I'm still thinking of replacing mine soon with an Oppo PM-3.

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #5 of 11

Have you tried stretching the headband? Pick something a bit larger than your head and leave them stretched over them for a day or two, should reduce the clamping force (and the isolation). I found the clamp a bit much when I first got mine too, but a combination of them stretching and my ears getting accustomed to it has made it hardly noticeable for hour-long listening sessions.

That being said I'm still thinking of replacing mine soon with an Oppo PM-3.

I'll have to give that a try.  I'll likely be lugging these along with me on 3+ hour hiking sessions, or walks.  Planar magnetic may be a big improvement on SQ, but the weight would be detrimental. :)

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #6 of 11
True, for long hiking/walking trips the PM-3 would probably be too heavy at 320g. The HD-25 is only 140g, and the Momentum clocks in at 190g.

Audio-technica make some good-sounding portables, albeit brighter and with more of a treble emphasis than Sennheiser. The Ath-ES7 would also be in your price range and weighs about 160g. It hardly isolates at all, but that doesn't seem to be a concern for you.

Other than that there are IEMs, but I always find those uncomfortable so have little experience with them personally. Others can chime in with recommendations there.

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #7 of 11
Sounds like a good contender for Dunu Titan 1. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/744083/dunu-titan-1-titanium-coated-diaphragm-half-in-ear-earphones

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #8 of 11
the akg k545 is a solid very highly performing mid-fi closed portable that you can find on sale for $150. list price is $250, can easily find for $200 or less nowadays.

the old momentum's gen1 have been seen on sale for $150 before. sub-$200 usually nowadays. msrp $350.

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #9 of 11

http://www.head-fi.org/t/744083/dunu-titan-1-titanium-coated-diaphragm-half-in-ear-earphones

Something like this is exactly what I'm looking for! I'll have to look into it.

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #10 of 11
  the akg k545 is a solid very highly performing mid-fi closed portable that you can find on sale for $150. list price is $250, can easily find for $200 or less nowadays.

the old momentum's gen1 have been seen on sale for $150 before. sub-$200 usually nowadays. msrp $350.

I haven't had a chance to play with the K545, but the momentum's are definitely in the running.  I couldn't believe how light they were when I tried them on at Best Buy.  And they let me use my own music which was nice.

Mar 20, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #11 of 11

Apparently this may be on the bright side.  This may or may not cause problems, as my ears are a bit sensitive to highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back