..on the Gerrard 1211 turntable.
Mar 9, 2007 at 3:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

werdwerdus

500+ Head-Fier
Gerrard 1211 semi-automatic turntable, Statically balanced straight-line tonearm, MM plug in cartridge T4P.

So far I think it sounds good, but I know that there are some problems with it. The platter goes up and down a little as it's rotating. What's that called? Also the tonearm is kind of loose. If you hold it and push it into and pull out from the pivot point it shifts about 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch
blink.gif
. I was at my local Hi-Fi shop today, before I got this turntable from my dad's friend, and I learned that the tonearm shouldn't move at all when you push it like that.

I'm taking it in to them tomorrow and I'm going to see how bad of shape it's really in, so I'll post some impressions from a vinyl junkie's POV. Until then, do you think it would be worth it to fix the problems with this TT or should I try to find something like a Technics 1500 or similar locally (used)? I was thinking looking around in flea markets, pawn shops, and the like for a while to try to find something, until garage sale season starts.

Any thoughts? Thank for your time and help, I really appreciate the great community here at Head-Fi
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #2 of 2
Don't forget to scour your local craigslist. I see turntables on sale from $20 and up all the time. I bought mine for $45.

Also, you'd probably get better replies to your questions if you post in the Dedicated Source forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back