On the Fidelio X2 scalability: which amp give the best result, on a €250 budget
Jan 8, 2016 at 1:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

varzyl

Head-Fier
So far i gathered substantially different opinions on the Fidelio scalability: some claim it doesn't scale at all, some say it's subtle, some say it's huge (http://www.head-fi.org/t/723025/philips-fidelio-x2/4215#post_11422764)

Would I obtain better results investing money on a $500 headphone, rather than Fidelio+Amp?

Jan 9, 2016 at 5:05 AM Post #2 of 5
In my experience with my X2, it does not really scale well at all. If you want something better than what the X2 is unamped, your better off upgrading your headphones. An amp will not do much to better your X2 than it already is IMO.

Jan 9, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #3 of 5
I haven't bought X2 yet, I'm in the middle of the decision process (the QC issues are slowing me down).

Anyways, what would be the best value, in a 400-500$ budget (can+amp)? What would be an upgrade to the X2, keeping the same-ish sound signature and soundstage?

I feel like there isn't much for that price point. Significant upgrades would require to increase the budget by a lot (HE-560, LCD2, maybe HD650 with the right amp)

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #4 of 5
  I haven't bought X2 yet, I'm in the middle of the decision process (the QC issues are slowing me down).

Anyways, what would be the best value, in a 400-500$ budget (can+amp)? What would be an upgrade to the X2, keeping the same-ish sound signature and soundstage?

I feel like there isn't much for that price point. Significant upgrades would require to increase the budget by a lot (HE-560, LCD2, maybe HD650 with the right amp)

I find that the HD650 and HE-400i to both be superior to the X2.  However neither have as large a soundstage as the X2, nor the bass quantity (though much better bass quality).

The 400i was recently on sale for $299, which would be a steal and no brainer over the X2 IMO.  You might be able to find some users selling theirs from the sales around that price that decided it wasn't for them.  Some users have reported good sound out of just an iphone 6s, though of course an amp would be ideal.  If you could manage to grab one on sale again, that would leave you with a couple hundred dollars for a nice amp setup like the modi and magni stack or something like that.

Jan 10, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #5 of 5
I was aware of that sale on the HE-400i, but unfortunately I don't live in the US! That, as well as all the massdrop sales, can become quite pricey after import duties, shipping, VAT, etc. I would also like to be able to import Garage1217 amps at decent price :frowning2:

Thanks anyways!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back