On the fence (RE0, FX500?)
Nov 1, 2009 at 5:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

JeJeP

Head-Fier
My fellow Head-FIers,

My last thread was quite general but I now have cornered a few choices and I cannot for the help of me decide where to drop my hard-earned dollars.

I have a budget of about a hundred dollars for my next pair of IEMs. I have been lucky enough to find a pair of used RE0s costing less than 90$, and another pair of used JVC FX500s at around the same price point. I'm looking for IEMs with decent build quality and isolation, and soundstage, balanced SQ-wise (I listen to several genres). I know that both aren't very "fun"; would pairing them with a Fiio E5/E1 be a good idea? Would settling on a ER6i mean a sizable drop in quality? It would allow me to spend more on accessories. Thanks in advance!

Nov 1, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #2 of 5
Spend more on the earphones, forget the accessories. Make no mistake - the Er6i is a sizeable step below the RE0 (can't comment on the FX500). If getting an E5 means dropping down from the RE0 to the Er6i, it's just not worth it. The E5 acts as a bass booster for the RE0. Some people like it; some don't (I'm in the 'don't' camp).

Nov 1, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #3 of 5
Not to mention isolation would better on the RE0 than the FX500. It's hard to say. Because of the lack of bass boom on the RE0 you might not like them. The FX500 would provide you with the boom, but you may need to change tips to see which one will tone down the harshness of the FX500.

Nov 1, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #4 of 5
I'm not interested in bass boom. Looks like we have a (temporary) winner!

Nov 2, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #5 of 5
Hi,bass isn't boomy on my FX500's,lots of it thou,same with other freq's as well(not all bass,nothing else).Certainly lots more than the RE0's,which i have,but not used much yet.One thing you can't say the FX500's are better than the RE0's or the RE0's are better than the FX500's.Peeps will like both,& prob could use both,depending on the mood they are in,or the type of music they want listen to.

Cheers BOB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back