On Sound Quality Alone: Astell & Kern AK380 (or AK320) vs. A Transport and Chord Mojo?
May 12, 2016 at 2:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jfs95

100+ Head-Fier
Hey All,

I'm in the market for a new DAP, and I'm torn between getting an Astell & Kern AK380 (or AK320) and a Chord Mojo (and a transport, likely the AK100 mk2 since it's the same size as the Mojo). So BASED ONLY ON SOUND QUALITY, how does the Chord Mojo stack up against the Astell & Kern AK380 / AK320?

Thanks!

May 17, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #3 of 7
I got the AK320 plus amp, and hasn't been blown away yet. Just ordered mojo, and plan to stack it against my FiioX5 first gen. The bad thing is that mojo is on back order so I won't be able to report back any time soon.

May 22, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #5 of 7
I have both mojo and AK380. My set up are:
A) I pod+Chord Mojo
B) AK380 copper + AMP.
Ear phones: Vision Ears 6xcontrol + Effect Audio Mars wire.

The difference is only about 10% in favor of the AK380, though the price is about 4x of that of IPOD and MOJO.
AK 380 has more ability to dissect complex passages so that the minute details stands out more and more definate, the base is also more pleasing with the 380 too. E.g. Try listening to La Isla Bonita and you will see. All the fine details comes out a touch more definite and clearer, especially when there are so many intruments in the background, all revolving and surrounding your ears. 
However, the difference is not night and day, but is there.
If budget allows, get AK380+AMP, otherwise, the MOJO is a fantastic bargain for  turning your phone into an amazing  instrument. 

May 22, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #6 of 7
Interesting feedback!  The general message is that the Mojo is better than any DAP.   

I didn't get a chance to audition a lot of gear, but I did get my AK320 and it sounds fantastic, especially compared to the AK100ii.

Nov 30, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #7 of 7
I'd get the Mojo/Poly combo or a QP1r. QP1r actually gets worse with Mojo so is a an great 1 piece solution if it meets your needs and Poly/Mojo is an awesome combo once run in. Nothing wrong with AK either but I prefer the Questyle though it doesn't do streaming etc so more limited if to some.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back