On Overcoming Reluctance to Ear Canal Type Headphones
Apr 4, 2004 at 6:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

newguy

100+ Head-Fier
About a year ago I bought a pair of Etymonics from the manufacturer and returned them after only one day. I really couldn't get them in my ear canal. Perhaps they make a smaller ear piece. At the same time I don't find the concept of putting something in my ear canal appealing. BUT I would like something small and light to travel with along with my iPod.

I am wondering if I should try again. Does it take some getting used to? Or am I unlikely to ever make the adjustment? Do various sized ear pieces exist?

Thanks for your help!

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2004 at 6:14 PM Post #2 of 9
If you like the sound of the ER6/ER4, then get yourself the Shure E3. They are more comfortable to wear and the sound is closer to the etymotic sound than the other Shure earphones. It usually takes time to get used to sticking stuff in your ears, but the effort is well worth it. Also, you should know that the foamies that come with the earphones are the most comfortable option. If all fails, you can still make earmolds to work with your earphone.

Apr 4, 2004 at 11:07 PM Post #4 of 9
My first attempt at Etys was a failure also - very uncomfortable. A later attempt using a gradual increase in the amount of time I used them from day to day was much more successful - I could use them for hours now without a problem. I don't know if this approach might work for you

Apr 4, 2004 at 11:20 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by zimmer
My first attempt at Etys was a failure also - very uncomfortable. A later attempt using a gradual increase in the amount of time I used them from day to day was much more successful - I could use them for hours now without a problem. I don't know if this approach might work for you

Thanks Zimmer. How do you like your Etys now?

Apr 5, 2004 at 1:33 AM Post #6 of 9
Hey Newguy.
In case you didn't know there are 3 different sizes of foam tips for the Ety canalphones. The black ones are the medium size. The smallest one is only slightly bigger than the barrel of the Ety. I have a couple unopened pairs of the small ones you can have if you decide to try the Etmotic phones again.
Todd R
etysmile.gif

Apr 5, 2004 at 9:43 PM Post #8 of 9
The foam tips for the Shure E1/E5 when placed on the ER4's are quite comfy. About the same diameter as the medium Ety's but shorter. I think they sound better too, but I haven't done a careful side by side yet, so take that with a grain of salt.

Apr 6, 2004 at 6:57 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by kwhead
The foam tips for the Shure E1/E5 when placed on the ER4's are quite comfy. About the same diameter as the medium Ety's but shorter. I think they sound better too, but I haven't done a careful side by side yet, so take that with a grain of salt.

Agreed, I prefer the yellow Shure foamies on my Ety's over the Ety-supplied grey foamies. I find the Shure foamies improve the bass response of the Ety's quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back