On/over ear headphones under $200
Apr 18, 2012 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Aros

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a set of headphones for portable music/video listening via non-amplified audio sources without powerful sound cards (phone, iPad, etc.). For the most part I will be in non-secluded environments with other people and often a fair amount of noise (planes, trains, etc.) or while just walking/driving/sitting on my own.

Audio quality is of course the most important part, but comfort is also extremely important to me, especially as I will often be listening for hours at a time.

So far as I've looked around I was most struck by the V-Moda M80s. They seem to fit my musical tastes and criteria quite well and I would just buy them without making this thread but it seems pretty accepted that their noise isolation isn't too great. So what I'd like to ask is 1. anybody who has the M80s, how exactly would you describe their noise isolation? (and any other feedback you have on them is welcome, especially on how comfortable they are) and 2. are there other headphones in this price range that are quite similar to the M80s with better noise isolation? I'd be willing to accept somewhat lower sound quality (obviously not too much lower) for better sound isolation, but would rather not sacrifice much in the way of comfort.

Thanks!

Edit: spelling

Apr 19, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #2 of 8
For the best isolation, you need a set of IEMs that isolate well. The best islating of the headphones won't be so comfortable. They will have high clamping force, or else are large and sweaty.

Apr 19, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #3 of 8
Ive never listened to the v80s so I really can't make a comparison but I find the denon d1100 very comfortable, even after prolonged use. The sound is also very good for its price range. Although the sound isolation is not super I would imagine that it would be more than adequate for the situations you've described. I'm sure some of the more experienced members can offer more informative replies, but I hope his helped a bit.

Apr 19, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #4 of 8
I'd prefer to have on/over ear headphones to IEMs. I've had IEMs before and I don't think I want to try them again right now.

I looked into the denon's recommended and the only thing I see about those that I don't really like is how strong their bass seems to be, as I prefer a more accurate bass. This could of course be adjusted with EQ but I'm not sure I trust the EQ in my phone/iPad to work well without reducing audio quality.

I think I might actually just buy a pair of M80s off Amazon and see how they are for my general purposes and if the noise isolation is actually a bit lacking for my purposes I can return them.

Please keep offering feedback and suggestions, though, because I'm still far from decided.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back