On ER4S has anyone bothered to get 3rd seal to work properly
Aug 10, 2002 at 1:42 AM Post #16 of 24
Ken,
Actually, I stopped using the mod awhile back (don't know why), but because of your recent posting decided to give it another whirl. I'm thoughly convinced this time around that it is a worthwhile mod and will be using it from now on! The foamey's memory characteristic allows an even better 3rd seal than just plain foam.

Suedama,
Thanks! Enjoy!

Aug 10, 2002 at 4:11 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by flashbak
Ken,
I came up with a similar mod about 1 year ago. I actually cut a foamie into 2 - 1/8" pieces. I then remove the inner tube from each, insert them first onto each element (pushing them to the back of the stem), and then install the flange tips making sure the 3rd flange covers that piece of foam. I definitely agree that it improves the bass response seal as well as the isolation.
smily_headphones1.gif

Could you take a picture of what you did? My mind must be on hold as I can not visualize what you did.

Aug 10, 2002 at 4:42 PM Post #18 of 24
John,
Just tried to draw a picture on the keyboard but when I posted it, it was all messed up.
Try this:
Take a foamey and place it length wise in a horizontal direction. Measure 1/8" in from each edge and cut using an exacto knife or sissor vertically. Now carefully remove the inner clear tube from each 1/8" inch foamie piece. With no tip on the Etymotic element push the 1/8" foamey to the rear of the stem then just install the flange tip as usual making sure that the 3rd flange goes on the top of the 1/8" foamie piece.

-
|
|__________
__________| stem
|
|
-

Aug 11, 2002 at 7:24 AM Post #19 of 24
Hey...this mod works, and works well! I know I'm getting at least a few more decibels of isolation since I had the TV volume at 13 before the sound would intrude into my ears, and now I have to turn it to about 20 after the mod. I know... very scientific testing methods.

The bass seems a little tighter but it's too soon to draw any concrete conclusions. Thanks Ken and flashbak for the very creative mod. I definitely want to play with this some more.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 11, 2002 at 10:45 AM Post #20 of 24
How do you get the plastic tube out of the foam tip, it's glued in there, and if I tug at it, it will tear the foam.
confused.gif

Damn I'm excited about this mod though.
biggrin.gif

Aug 11, 2002 at 12:28 PM Post #22 of 24
HappymaN,
Grasp the foamie around it's outer diameter with one hand. Gently grab the center tube with your other hand's thumb and index finger (thumb on top of tube, index on bottom of tube) then proceed to very slowly work the tube around slowly peeling the tube away from the inner foam. Just take your time doing it and it will come off fine.

Jan 18, 2005 at 6:12 PM Post #23 of 24
Sorry to resurrect this thread from the depths, but I was searching around, just tried this mod, and the results are awesome! I seem to get all the deep bass of *deep* insertion with the foamies, without the associated 'narrowing' of the soundstage - the best of both worlds. This is definitely worth a try for anyone who, like me, wasn't perfectly satisfied with either foamies or tri-flanges.

I'm getting more and more convinced that supposed 'lack of bass' is largely due to lack of a really tight seal. I'm listening to some drum n bass right now and the deep-bass is awesome
smily_headphones1.gif
I really think it's worth it to experiment with different tip possibilities to achieve that seal.

Jan 19, 2005 at 12:42 AM Post #24 of 24
This sounds cool. I have been doing the "cut 1/3 of the length of a foamie" mod but this sounds cool. I will have to try it. Thanks for finding it.

dshea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back