On-Ear Headphones for Rap/Hip-Hop Music.
Mar 10, 2013 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

TheBlackKing

New Head-Fier
Hey Guys,

I was looking for a recommendation for headphones around the $75 (£50) mark - Though I could probably stretch to $100 (£67). I'm new to picking out headphones and have only recently graduated from buying miscellaneous cheap $7 (£5) headphones and I would only generally look at the aesthetics. My profile picture shows my latest (sadly broken) headphones the "
Pioneer SE-MJ151". I picked them out purely based on the looks, however, they sounded great (in comparison to my previous ventures). I don't really want to take a step backwards in terms of quality so I thought I'd turn to you guys for help ​
biggrin.gif
. Also it is pretty essential that they can fold up because my last two pairs of headphones have broken. 

Thanks

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #2 of 4
What kind of rap music?  My experience is that rap tends to go toward broad themes and often uses poor samples.  The beauty of the music is in the genius of the lyrical flow and unexpected juxtapositions - the music is just there to keep time and nail your azz to the floor wit da mad bass, yo.  Unless you're into busdriver or Das Racist (which are actually competently recorded and do some fun things with the music)....

That's not a denigration of rap (I like punk - but hi-fi cans don't do anything for it) - but you should look for bassy cans that have some small measure of clarity.  V-Modas are highly regarded as better than Beats.

Mar 11, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
Hey Guys,

I was looking for a recommendation for headphones around the $75 (£50) mark - Though I could probably stretch to $100 (£67). I'm new to picking out headphones and have only recently graduated from buying miscellaneous cheap $7 (£5) headphones and I would only generally look at the aesthetics. My profile picture shows my latest (sadly broken) headphones the "
Pioneer SE-MJ151". I picked them out purely based on the looks, however, they sounded great (in comparison to my previous ventures). I don't really want to take a step backwards in terms of quality so I thought I'd turn to you guys for help ​
biggrin.gif
. Also it is pretty essential that they can fold up because my last two pairs of headphones have broken. 

Thanks

Would be helpful if preferences in sound (sound signature), comfort, isolation (if being used portably)/leakage, build was stated as well. 

Also - http://www.head-fi.org/t/529144/full-size-headphone-recommendations-thread-i-e-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here-please-read-op

Mar 11, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Also it is pretty essential that they can fold up because my last two pairs of headphones have broken.   
Thanks

What does that mean? Headphones that can fold are not inherently more durable than headphones that can't; quite the contrary since the hinges introduce new weak spots vulnerable to failure.

Also, why do they have to be on-ear? Could you get circum-aural headphones instead of just supra-aural?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back