On Ear Headphones for 100$
Mar 30, 2015 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

SovietJelly

New Head-Fier
Hi, I've wanted to buy over ear headphones (ATH M40x and Sennheiser HD 558) But those don't ship to my country. For some reason only on ear headphones do. So I've decided to buy those, as the Skullcandy Crushers and "Hesh 2" I tested at my local store were a bass bomb, bassicaly (see what I did there haha).
I am debating between three sets: The Sennheiser Momentum on ear, the AKG Y50, and the JBL Synchros S300. All are currently around 100$. I've already tested the AKG Y50s, and they sound good. There is an emphasis on bass which is a bit too much but it isn't noticeable. 
Do any of you guys have experience with any of these?

Mar 30, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #2 of 32
Sennheiser Momentums definitely do not favour the bass range. They will give you a clean clear sound. I feel they are over priced although, and you are primarily paying more for the "lifestyle" look and premium materials than you are for the sound. They sound good, but nothing special. A lot of people on here will recommend them, and from your post you probably will like them too. Haven't heard the others yet.

Another point I'd like to add about the Momentums is that they are a bit uncomfortable. The on ears have a strong clamping force. They feel similar to the Beats Mixr on head. The larger Momentums which are half way in between on and over ear headphones don't feel all that much better. Sennheiser, I guess, couldn't decide if they wanted to make another on ear or over ear Momentum, so just decided to make something bang on right in the middle of no man's land. They are over ear if you are a small child or one of those little people perhaps.

Mar 30, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #3 of 32
  They are over ear if you are a small child or one of those little people perhaps.

Said a person with elephant ears.

Mar 30, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #5 of 32
Mar 30, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #6 of 32
If you're 8ft tall maybe.

I realize I was wrong. Sorry. Must be a small child then. I'm certainly not the only normal sized adult person with normal size ears to find the ear cups on the so called over ear Momentum to be not completely over ear. The pad opening is very small and narrow compared to most over ear models. Go read some reviews on it on different websites.

Sorry if I offended you about their size or size in general, but when you grow up and become an adult one day you will understand that different people experience things differently and have different opinions. Sometimes I forget it's the internet and you never know the maturity level of those you are communicating with. But yes the Momentums are truly over ear if you are a small child or someone who is small and or have small ears. There is no shame in being a child or being small. It is what it is. It's just strange that Sennheiser would choose to make their over ears for specifically that demographic.

Mar 30, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #7 of 32
I have the same problem with the momentum over-ear.
They sit slightly on the ears, and gets uncomfortable after a while.

I have normal sized ears, for a 6.1 ft guy (not that height matters).

But in the end it's a personal preference, so if you can, try them out and see how they fit your ears.

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #8 of 32

I realize I was wrong. Sorry. Must be a small child then. I'm certainly not the only normal sized adult person with normal size ears to find the ear cups on the so called over ear Momentum to be not completely over ear. The pad opening is very small and narrow compared to most over ear models. Go read some reviews on it on different websites.

Sorry if I offended you about their size or size in general, but when you grow up and become an adult one day you will understand that different people experience things differently and have different opinions. Sometimes I forget it's the internet and you never know the maturity level of those you are communicating with. But yes the Momentums are truly over ear if you are a small child or someone who is small and or have small ears. There is no shame in being a child or being small. It is what it is. It's just strange that Sennheiser would choose to make their over ears for specifically that demographic.

Average human ear size for a male = 64mm tall.
Mine are 65mm and I find the Momentums to be supremely comfortable.
Momentums were designed to cater for the average. Not the child, or the small.

Please know what you're talking about before making rude generalisations. 
You're not the first snarky kid I've dealt with on Head-fi, and you won't be the last.
Hopefully one day you'll understand that people experience things differently and have different opinions, instead of just rudely generalizing those who actually enjoy the Sennheiser Momentum.

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #9 of 32
Mine are 65mm. 

You thought I was being rude, so I guess you think you have an exclusive license to be rude and obnoxious, and all this is just a rouse to defend your believed exclusivity and ownership of that behavior? You better get your money back from whoever sold you that pass and dream. Wow the internet has all types doesn't it.

I'm sorry, but you are just going to have to suck it up and realize that there are a lot of people that feel the pad size is too small. Regardless of your claims and / or attitude you aren't changing mine or anyone elses actual experience. So let your opinion be yours and everyone else has theirs. You find the pads comfortable and of appropriate size for you. Great! Happy for you! Myself and others don't have the same experience. Accept it and move on.

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #11 of 32
  You thought I was being rude, so I guess you think you have an exclusive license to be rude and obnoxious, and all this is just a rouse to defend your believed exclusivity and ownership of that behavior? You better get your money back from whoever sold you that pass and dream. Wow the internet has all types doesn't it.

I'm sorry, but you are just going to have to suck it up and realize that there are a lot of people that feel the pad size is too small. Regardless of your claims and / or attitude you aren't changing mine or anyone elses actual experience. So let your opinion be yours and everyone else has theirs. You find the pads comfortable and of appropriate size for you. Great! Happy for you! Myself and others don't have the same experience. Accept it and move on.

No idea what you're talking about.
I've been nothing but civil and jovial the whole time up to the point you decided to take things personally and went salty:

Quote:

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #12 of 32
Mine are 65mm and I find the Momentums to be supremely comfortable.

You're not the first snarky kid I've dealt with on Head-fi, and you won't be the last.
Hopefully one day you'll understand that people experience things differently and have different opinions, instead of just rudely generalizing those who actually enjoy the Sennheiser Momentum.

You are the snarky kid with the inability to let people have their opionions in this situation. It was you who initiated this whole thing, cause you just had to take a child like approach and attempt at putting me in my place for my opinion, right? It seems like you are having a battle with the man in the mirror my friend. It's all you and your problem considering it sounds like you have an ongoing issue with this.

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #13 of 32
"You're snarky" 
"No, YOU are!"

urgh.. I'm out.

Hope you get what you need SovietJelly, without people ignorantly leading you to think things are simply one way without offering the other side of the coin.

Mar 30, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #14 of 32
"You're snarky" 
"No, YOU are!"

urgh.. I'm out.

Hope you get what you need SovietJelly, without people ignorantly leading you to think things are simply one way.

Again fighting that mirror. Simply one way? Who was it again coming in here to make an attempt at making someone's opinion invalid continually just cause their opinion differed? Take a good hard look at yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back