On-Ear Headphone Advice
Feb 29, 2012 at 4:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jwood152003

New Head-Fier
Hey guys/gals,

I'm new to this forum and might have not even posted this in the right thread however, I am looking for the best on-ear pair of headphones that I can find between 40-60 dollars. I have to have them open because I need to hear at work unfortunately. I don't have a preference on brand, the style or flashy-ness doesn't matter too much (although the portapro headphones are awful/uncomfortable looking). And sound quality, I just want the best overall sound I can get. Thanks for the help!

Feb 29, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #2 of 9
I love my v-JAYS and they have gotten good reviews everywhere on the web. They might be a little over your budget with the MSRP, but I think you should be able to find them discounted somewhere for about 60-70 bucks. 

Here is a good review by forum member shigzeo:
http://www.touchmyapps.com/2009/11/02/jays-v-jays-headphones-in-review-when-koss-met-grado/

Mar 1, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #3 of 9
The Sennheiser Px100II($59) is quite good. If you want to spend less, how about the Koss KSC75 earclip headphones for around $17?

The Koss Sportapro is around $20, and sounds almost exactly the same as the Portapro but looks different.

The Koss KTXpro1 sounds good(same drivers as the KSC75?) however it isn't good for those with a large head.

Mar 1, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for the help.Any other suggestions would be great. I'm fairly new to the world of headphones and have previously bought headphones before for there looks/price. I'd like to find one now that I can enjoy my music right and that'll last

Mar 1, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #6 of 9
Would any of you recommend the Sennheiser HD238 or HD218 instead of the PX100 -ii? I can get the HD models on amazon for around my price range and cant find a comparison of them online.

Mar 1, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #7 of 9
I used to own the HD238, and I don't recommend it...I actually regret buying it. They were inefficient (not really made for use straight out of a DAP unless you have one with a powerful output), and only slightly better than the PX100 with bass that gets distorted.

Oh and regarding the V-JAYS, there's currently the V-JAYS Two out now, supposedly the same as the V-JAYS but with slight aesthetic changes and a lower price.

Mar 1, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
Would any of you recommend the Sennheiser HD238 or HD218 instead of the PX100 -ii? I can get the HD models on amazon for around my price range and cant find a comparison of them online.

These are closed. They are also very inefficient, so you may not get enough volume with them. I wouldn't buy them unless I could get them very cheap(under $20?).

The Sennheiser MX580 earbuds($28) has excellent sound quality. Imo it sounds better than the PX100(better detail, but not quite as much bass). It is a traditional style earbud, so it offers no isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back