On amazon right now. help me pull the trigger!
Mar 30, 2010 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

pospressure

New Head-Fier
I'm sure the what should I buy questions get old and I really hate asking it but I'm buying the first components of my first set up right now. After months and months of lurking here I have my amazon and ebay tabs up and my debit card ready!

Long story long I'm buying blind and haven't listened to any of the options I've chosen but my eight year old Sony MDR-V300 headphones died and I can't stand the sounds of the GF's reality TV shows so I'm forced to take action now.

For various reasons except sound (the type of phone / price range) I've come to these two options which both list for 299 full price.

Option 1. AKG K271MK2 for $170 from Amazon.

Option 2. Audio Technica ATH-A700 $114 from Amazon. -it should be noted that the price difference in these two gives me enough leeway to also squeeze in the JDS CmoyBB off ebay for $69.99.

Thats it. Now if I get the AKG's I can and will get a cmoybb or caffeine if it comes back in stock ASAP as well as a Line out cable of some type but I'll have to wait a couple weeks.

Random info: I listen to various types of electronic, some rap, some rock/folk, some classic rock.

My computer with itunes will be my main source at some point but I'll need more equipment to make it sound decent so I'll likely use my iPod touch in the mean time.

Which reminds me of another random question. My motherboards on board sound is horrible with lots of popping and crackling that no amount if driver hunting has fixed (windows 7). If I purchased a DAC or USB DAC cable would it still matter what sounds card I was running?

OK thats it help push me over the fence, best bang for the buck.

listening to something is better than listening to nothing.......or the real housewives of anywhere.

Mar 30, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #2 of 15
Wanted the AKG's for about six months but I read either really bad things about them or really good.

Haven't heard too much bad about the AT's although nothing amazing either. Leaning to the AT's right now just because of the nothing bad.

No responses yet I think I'll get the AT's if no responses by 8pm.

Mar 30, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #3 of 15
Just so you know, there are some new AKG K271s up right now for less than $170 on eBay.

I haven't heard the A700 and I don't know what kind of music you listen to, but I really enjoy the K271 I have. It isolates rather well and sounds great to me. Some might find it a bit thin on bass, but I come from a world of electrostatics so huge bass response isn't part of what I know.

And yes, if you bought a USB DAC that would very likely obviate your on-board soundcard problems.

Mar 30, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #4 of 15
The USB/DAC would bypass it. You can also order a USB/Sendstation, or equivalent for your iPod (as I am doing) to bypass the iPod's headphone jack, feed it to your DAC, and it should be as good or better than your computer.

Mar 30, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #5 of 15
If your computer isn't a laptop, a soundcard upgrade would be your best bet for value for money. Otherwise you'll want a USB DAC upgrade.

Have you considered the Shure SRH-440 at all (Or 840 if you stretch out a little)?

EDIT: Forgot your looking at US prices - Definitely consider the Beyerdynamic DT250s.

Mar 30, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #6 of 15
The AKG 271 is a great headphone, but I wouldn't buy it if I were a primarily electronica/rap listener.

Mar 30, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #8 of 15
The DT770s need a good amp to shine, so unless you've got one you're probably better off looking elsewhere.

Mar 30, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Joboto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT770s need a good amp to shine, so unless you've got one you're probably better off looking elsewhere.

These cans are good! When you talk about shine, is it sound brightness? I made them shine with a headamp from burson's.

Mar 30, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #10 of 15
Paying >$100 for the A700 is stupid when the superior ES7 is available at just a bit more than $70. At your price range you should also consider the D1000 which suits electronic/rap.

Mar 30, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #11 of 15
AKG 271 is not a phone for excitement.. It is a good classical music phone for the price. But when I have it with Grado SR80, I often turn to SR80 for non-classical recording. Also, portable source can only get acceptable result from the phone.

Given your source and budget, I would suggest Shure SRH840 (I haven't try lower SRH440 though.). My Cowon D2 can power it without any trouble. At least you shouldn't feel the need of the amp for a while.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pospressure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure the what should I buy questions get old and I really hate asking it but I'm buying the first components of my first set up right now. After months and months of lurking here I have my amazon and ebay tabs up and my debit card ready!

Long story long I'm buying blind and haven't listened to any of the options I've chosen but my eight year old Sony MDR-V300 headphones died and I can't stand the sounds of the GF's reality TV shows so I'm forced to take action now.

For various reasons except sound (the type of phone / price range) I've come to these two options which both list for 299 full price.

Option 1. AKG K271MK2 for $170 from Amazon.

Option 2. Audio Technica ATH-A700 $114 from Amazon. -it should be noted that the price difference in these two gives me enough leeway to also squeeze in the JDS CmoyBB off ebay for $69.99.

Thats it. Now if I get the AKG's I can and will get a cmoybb or caffeine if it comes back in stock ASAP as well as a Line out cable of some type but I'll have to wait a couple weeks.

Random info: I listen to various types of electronic, some rap, some rock/folk, some classic rock.

My computer with itunes will be my main source at some point but I'll need more equipment to make it sound decent so I'll likely use my iPod touch in the mean time.

Which reminds me of another random question. My motherboards on board sound is horrible with lots of popping and crackling that no amount if driver hunting has fixed (windows 7). If I purchased a DAC or USB DAC cable would it still matter what sounds card I was running?

OK thats it help push me over the fence, best bang for the buck.

listening to something is better than listening to nothing.......or the real housewives of anywhere.

Mar 30, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The USB/DAC would bypass it. You can also order a USB/Sendstation, or equivalent for your iPod (as I am doing) to bypass the iPod's headphone jack, feed it to your DAC, and it should be as good or better than your computer.

Hold up, are you saying you are getting digital USB output from your iPod and running that into a portable DAC? If it is possible to bypass the iPod's soundcard that easily... then I have been missing out.

Mar 30, 2010 at 5:14 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tympanum_Plan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hold up, are you saying you are getting digital USB output from your iPod and running that into a portable DAC? If it is possible to bypass the iPod's soundcard that easily... then I have been missing out.

x2 - fo real brah?
confused.gif

Mar 30, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by stokitw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Given your source and budget, I would suggest Shure SRH840 (I haven't try lower SRH440 though.). My Cowon D2 can power it without any trouble. At least you shouldn't feel the need of the amp for a while.

Thank you everyone for the input
smily_headphones1.gif

Stokitw after your suggestion I dug through the forum for more info on the Shure's and decided they will be a good choice to start off with, they'll be here in 3-5 business days
smily_headphones1.gif

I think I'll still get a little CMoy or something to get the ball rolling but that will have to wait for tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back